Home > Trip Reports > July 23, 2006, Russell Glacier, Mt. Rainier

July 23, 2006, Russell Glacier, Mt. Rainier

7/23/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by qanuk on 7/24/06 2:09am
Hi,

I thought a great midsummer tour with Michele and Erik was high time to file my first post after lurking forever. We had a nice tour of the Russell and Flett glaciers that exceeded our hopes.

We left Seattle at 5:50 am. Started hiking from the Mowich Lake lot at 8:00 AM - 4,972'.

It was already feeling hot.

Patchy snow started at 6,400' - just past the spray meadow - and became continuous at 7,000. We skinned, then booted up, to the prow of the Russell at 10,000. We started down at 2:15.

The snow up high was loosened suncups with a dusting of glacial flour. Below 8,500, smoother, near corn.

From 10,000 to 6,400 we took our skis off three or four times. We got back to the car at 5 pm.

This was good fun.

There are lots of smiley little crevasses starting to emerge.

Mowich Lake is now perfect swimming temperature...

Chris
Well, since ain't nobody else said it ...
Welcome!
So how were the frozen in tracks from previous weekends? Were they noticable still? In your photos, your tracks seemed the only ones visible, probably because of fresh grit on the snow.
Looks like the headwall part has melted out surprisingly little in the last 3 weeks.
I like the concept of "smiley" crevasses. If I fall in one, that will make me feel happier  ;)
BTW nice username 8)

Thanks.

I guess - smiley or grimacing - just depends on which end of the crevasse you find yourself on....

Looks like a fun day! Any idea what conditions might be like up there two weekends from now?

There will be plenty of snow - I think it would still be pretty good.

You might have to make a few detours as crevasses widen. We skied straight up, and down. But a few crevasses are open and they will get wider.

Robyn-  Check this August 2005 TR out, and have a look at Ron's photo from an August trip in 2000:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=3113.0

Hard to say, but with the high temps, expect a great hike but maybe lower your skiing expectations (expect the worst, hope for the best) 8)

Reply to this TR

july-23-2006-russell-glacier-mt-rainier
qanuk
2006-07-24 09:09:17