Home > Forum > Good Sunrise area trip for 7/23?

Good Sunrise area trip for 7/23?

• Robyn
  • [Robyn]
More
20 Jul 2006 23:39 #175705 by Robyn
Good Sunrise area trip for 7/23? was created by Robyn
I'm going to be in Greenwater for a bike race this Saturday, so I'm trying to turn it into a weekend adventure by skiing on Sunday, preferably on the Sunrise/White River side of the mountain. The catch is, there's got to be minimal glacier travel and crevasse hazards since my friend won't have all the gear. Is it actually possible this late in the season, aside from a trip to Muir?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2006 08:07 #175706 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Good Sunrise area trip for 7/23?
not sure what you'll find in Glacier Basin this time of year...might not be a whole lot left other than the Inter glacier itself.

Check out Skip's trip report from the Ohanapecosh & Whitman glaciers from last weekend...I bet if you hiked in to the Summerland area, you could still find some fun, steep, but short turns to be had around Meany Crest and the cirque just above and east of Summerland without setting foot on glaciated terrain.

If you're willing to drive a little further, you could go around to the Mowich Lake side of Rainier and hike in to the Flett glaciers...as long as you stay off the Russell glacier and just stay in the vicinity of Observation Rock and Cateye Lake you won't need glacier gear.

• Robyn
  • [Robyn]
More
21 Jul 2006 17:08 #175707 by Robyn
Replied by Robyn on topic Re: Good Sunrise area trip for 7/23?
Thanks for the ideas!
Hmmmm...Summerland looks like a nice option, especially looking at that trip report...