Home > Trip Reports > July 15-16: Ohanapecosh and Whitman glaciers - MRNP

July 15-16: Ohanapecosh and Whitman glaciers - MRNP

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skip on 7/19/06 2:58pm
Although we originally had loftier plans, the Casshole and I cast these aside for a more enjoyable, relaxing weekend on Rainier's east side.  Adding to the conversation and willing to carry the stove was Paul Russell, a welcomed latecomer.

After picking up Cass in Enumclaw Saturday morning, we made way to the Fryingpan Creek trailhead.  The plan was to camp in the vicinity of Panhandle Gap, poke around the nearby slopes, sleep, then go about our business on Little Tahoma Sunday via the Ohanapecosh and Whitman glaciers.  All started to spec; however, the roofie Paul apparently slipped into my Gatorade kicked in and I thereafter died a slow death on the trail to Summerland.  The heat and the heavy lunch I packed made for a great burden, and it was with joy that I greeted the continuous snow shortly beyond the Summerland shelter.  Somehow Cass was even more sluggish than I was.  Nevertheless, we pushed on past Meany Crest along the Wonderland Trail, went through Panhandle Gap, and staked out a camp at 6550€™ on the benches above Ohanapecosh Park.  A nap ensued.

At some point Paul became antsy.  I ascribe this to his being more fit than I am.  In any case, while Cass and I continued the recovery process, Paul went for an evening stroll up 2000€™ to Whitman Crest.  With the most interesting person among us gone, Cass and I soon found there was nothing to talk about so we too went skiing€¦for about 500€™ feet down Ohanapecosh Park.  Upon arriving at a 100+ foot waterfall, we agreed we could go no further.  We subsequently returned and waited in awkward silence for Paul to come back.  He eventually did.

This side of Rainier was new to me, and without surprise it is as lovely as the rest of the mountain.  Perhaps even lovelier€”we did not see a soul in our corner of the mountain after crossing Panhandle Gap. 

We started climbing at 7:30 Sunday in already warm air.  Starting on the upper Ohanapecosh glacier, we traded for the Whitman around 8000€™--just above a striking, unnamed spire on the Crest.  Skinning up climber€™s right of the two icefalls, we reached the base of Little Tahoma without a need for ropes and glacier gear.  Given the large runnels the climber€™s path navigated, we shouldered our skis and booted it up from this point (I used pons, though Paul was able to make do without).  We intended to climb as high as the snow would take us, but we ultimately stopped slightly short of this as the snow gave way to cohered ice pellets; my altimeter read 10K€™ as I ate lunch.

The ski down was exactly as one would want it: smooth.  Whereas, the climber€™s path went through heavy runnels, skier€™s right with the exception of some exposed cracks was velvety smooth and in prime condition.  We made use of it:

We continued down skier€™s right on the Whitman€”opposite our uptrack€”to take advantage of the steeper drops found on that side.  Crossing back over the Ohanapecosh was no less enjoyable, though the snow was not of the same caliber (having cooked longer in the morning sun).  After a short rest at camp we packed and headed home.

Although it€™s a little longer than the typical approach to LT, this route comes with my high marks.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Some pics:
]
nice report.  and i like the composition of the icefall photo, Frank Swanson.  ready for August?  ;D

That sounds like a great trip! I've looked off Whitman Crest at the Whitman proper when coming up from Fryingpan, and Whitman looks like a relatively sane glacier to be skiing upon - there were definitely cracks but the really big ones were few, far between, and concentrated in places you might expect like breakovers and compressions. Would you agree that skiing on the Whitman (possibly solo) would probably fall within many of our comfort ranges? (It's all relative of course...)

I've occasionally conceived of a lifetime goal to ski on each one of Rainier's "little" glaciers. Whitman and Ohanapecosh on one trip would knock two of those out.

Thanks for a great trip guys.  Nice trip report and photos Skip, thanks for posting them.  That solo evening stroll and run was very enjoyable.

Thanks ,Guys that's one I'll save  info for the future. About four years ago I was in that area and it looked good then. perhaps a little earlier than this a traverse from paradise and exit out at summerland trail head is very doable.
Gary Vogt and I were going to do it but the Hwy123 was rockslided.
nice pics

author=wolfs link=topic=5140.msg21615#msg21615 date=1153427583]
Would you agree that skiing on the Whitman (possibly solo) would probably fall within many of our comfort ranges? (It's all relative of course...)

It's pretty mellow and there weren't too many cracks if that's answer enough.  On Little Tahoma there's a couple of places where you wouldn't want to fall above, but largely it wasn't a big deal - at least this last weekend.

nice pics guys, sweet trek!  and funny haha report, skip. 

Nice trip summary Skipper!  Definitely cool to check out that side of the mountain on skis this time.

A few other photos:

1.  Skip & Paul
2.  Paul on Little Tahoma
3.  Skip on the Ohanapecosh Glacier

Reply to this TR

july-15-16-ohanapecosh-and-whitman-glaciers-mrnp
skip
2006-07-19 21:58:05