Home > Trip Reports > July 15, 2006, - Whitman Crest, Mt. Rainier

July 15, 2006, - Whitman Crest, Mt. Rainier

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 7/18/06 4:05am

5am came real fast.  Lupo drove from Aberdeen, which is near the coast, to meet us and was up at 2:15 the in morning to meet Eli and myself at this ridiculous time.  Efin trooper I tell ya.  After some discussion on what gear to bring and our route, our group set off from 3,850ft around 6:15.

The Summerland trail is wide enough to drive a super compact car or atv up a good portion of it.  The shade from the trees and breeze provided relief for the 4.2 mile hike to the Summerland shelter at 5,950ft.  The scenery hiking into this place is truly awe inspiring.

Continuous snow was just a stones throw from the shelter so we changed here.  An hour passed by while we were eating, putting on our diapers (harness), fiddling with gear and napping.  We left the shelter around 9:20 and started finding our way around Meany Crest.  We entered a basin and a cirque of chutes that there was no way around.  The mellowest way, up a 30-35 degree slope, put us going in the wrong direction but none of us was willing to crampon up a more direct but steeper route.    Then like five minutes later a lone goat came traversing across double time.  It was amusing watching the hoof glissade once it got going too fast.

45 minutes later we were at the spot we would have been at, had we climbed the steeper chute.  From the ridge we also had a better view of the Fryingpan glacier and its condition.  We opted to
on the glacier you could start to make out what lurks just below the surface.

After being taken in by the surrounding scenery it was finally time to depart.

below the top.

I couldn€™t believe that we haven€™t encountered any other souls here today except goats.

Our line took us down to a pond with a short carry across some dirt and rock to this steep chute.  So far the best snow was on the steepest sections.  Eli took these pics of Lupo and

We were able to ride down to 6,100ft before booting back down to the shelter.  At the shelter we bumped into a group that was kind enough to share some PBR and Bourbon among things.  After the hovelrage we started our hike down at 3:30.  By 5:30 Lupo, Eli and myself were enjoying some frosty ones while rehashing the details of the day.  Like Eli go left, go left, remember it cliffs out to the right below you.  Where€™d he go?  To the right.  Well I didn€™t hear anything and I don€™t see him at the bottom yet.  Who has the rope?  Eli.  Okay let€™s drop in.

By 7pm I started my drive back to the south side of Rainier.  By 9pm I was tucked away somewhere in the parking lot.

more pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spcmanspiff/sets/72157594201306131/

Reply to this TR

july-15-2006-whitman-crest-mt-rainier
snoslut
2006-07-18 11:05:58