Home > Trip Reports > July 16, 2006, Ruth Mountain, a.k.a. Not Mt. Ruth

July 16, 2006, Ruth Mountain, a.k.a. Not Mt. Ruth

7/16/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by markharf on 7/17/06 11:39am
In all the old stories, there are guards posted at crucial transitions: hungry trolls under the bridges, a riddling Sphinx on the roadway, Department of Homeland Security goons at the airports.  Beyond the guards, a land of (figurative) milk and honey, of endless plenty and boundless fulfillment. 

Ruth Mountain is like that: a wonderful ski destination featuring good snow, moderate slopes, sublime views, and that vague sense of moral superiority which comes from earning turns while friends and relations laze around by the (again figurative) swimming pool.  For better or worse, Ruth is guarded, too: by a five-mile trail approach which inevitably surprises by getting longer and harder during the day, so that it takes easily twice the determination on your return despite being largely downhill. 

This time of year, Ruth is guarded as well by a short, evil climber€™s trail leading directly up a 40 degree heather slope above Hannegan Pass€”the sort of slope which calls for crampons and a pair of matched ice tools when wet.  Previously, I€™d only skied Ruth earlier in the season, before the snow melts off this slope, and I€™d always viewed it as a minor impediment on ascent, but great sluffy fun skiing down at the end of a day. 

I left the trailhead at high noon€”rather early, in my book€”and was clawing my way up the climber€™s trail to the first significant snow, wishing I€™d brought a second Whippet, two hours later.  That portion aside, Ruth currently features easy climbing€”I wore running shoes the whole way up€”and good skiing on fully-consolidated snow from the summit to perhaps 5500 feet, with small runnels and suncups the rule.  The run through the headwall gullies to Ruth Creek is about done for the season, although a few steep, narrow exit slots remain; I opted for the trackless slopes to skiers right of the climber€™s trail, exploring a bit and adding some vertical before returning to the main route.  Feeling triumphant following my successful descent of the perilous climber€™s path, I dropped my pack and scampered up Hannegan Peak for a different perspective€”spectacular!€”before committing to the long, long, trudge homeward.  At precisely sundown (9:07), I staggered through the parking lot to my car, poured a giant cup of iced coffee from my thermos, and went careening down the Hannegan Road towards the land of friends, relations and swimming pools. 

The day€™s basic lesson: Ruth remains entirely worth the effort, even so late in the year, but the balance would certainly shift in times of poor visibility; there is plenty of skiing more easily accessed which, however, lacks the amazing location and views.  On this perfectly cloudless day, views from Ruth included the Pasayten and Pickets, Glacier, Rainier, Shuksan and Baker and beyond to sunlit saltwater, the ski area environs and North Fork valley peaks, as well as way up into the Canadian Cascades and Coast Range.  The proximity of Hannegan Peak, with a new-ish trail featuring only a few patches of remnant snow, suggests that skiers and non-skiers could accompany each other as far as Hannegan Pass, recreate separately before reconnecting at the end of the day...and then perhaps bolster each others€™ flagging spirits on the return hike.

Time€™s running short on the 2005-6 season: just two short months of good skiing before fresh snowfall returns.

enjoy,

Mark
  As always, I enjoyed your report, Mark. I have never skied Ruth Mountain, but I do remember admiring it while on a backpacking trip through to the Chilliwack River valley and the border a decade ago.

Bob

Reply to this TR

july-16-2006-ruth-mountain-a-k-a-not-mt-ruth
markharf
2006-07-17 18:39:46