Home > Trip Reports > July 15, 2006, coleman pinnacle, mt baker

July 15, 2006, coleman pinnacle, mt baker

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by md2020 on 7/17/06 3:21am
We headed up to Mt Baker area Sat in search of better coverage from what we have been finding around Rainier the last couple weeks. Not having made the trip to the Baker area yet this year, we thought it was about time. We arrived at the gate at the upper parking lot late at around 10:30 with cool temps, partial clearing, and views up towards Table Mt revealing better coverage than our June 19 trip a year ago. We hiked up towards Artist Pt following the road, which is bare pavement up to the beginning of the long switchback. From there the crews are still working to clear the snow and have dug a path through the snow. I€™ll bet it€™ll be a couple weeks before the road to Artist Pt is clear.

Part way along the trail traversing Table Mt we put on skis and dropped into the basin and, except for one small section, had continuous snow until Coleman Pinnacle. Waxless skis were working well and no climbing skins were required. Snow was badly suncupped and runnelled in places, but overall the bumps were very manageable. The cool temps kept the sticky factor to zero and provided excellent skiing.

We saw only 3 hikers and 1 other skier out there. Where was everybody?  We stopped and chatted with the skier, who turns out we met last year on our trip to the area. Name was Steve who had Charles with him that day a year ago. Just after the ski from the ridge west of the Pinnacle the skies cleared and offered excellent views of Baker. I€™m not sure what it is, but my pictures from this area always seem to turn out well. Must be the lighting.  We skied the snow into the basin below Table Mt, knowing that there was a remaining snow strip that we could boot up to the trail, and knowing that Steve would have already kicked up some steps. Can you believe that guy kept his skis on and did little switchbacks up to the trail? I skied the chute just below Artist Pt down towards Bagley Lake, while Brenda chose to walk the road. Probably a good choice, since it was pretty bumpy at the top steeper section. I think it was close to 7:00 when we got to the car.

I think this may be our last trip of the year, and now we might actually get serious about painting the house. You may see us at the Slush Fest however. It€™s been a good year.

Mike - You have low altitude hysteria!!!  You are in SERIOUS trouble!!!  You must IMMEDIATELY get to a higher elevation that has snow!  Go now!!  Don't wait!!  You have a typical sign of low altitude hysteria - thinking that you will do house projects instead of skiing.

When you get to a higher elevation with snow, you will realize how serious and sort of funny your statement is:
author=md2020 link=topic=5131.msg21552#msg21552 date=1153160476]
I think this may be our last trip of the year, and now we might actually get serious about painting the house. You may see us at the Slush Fest however. It’s been a good year.

You can hire painters - you CAN"T hire someone to ski for you!

You can hire painters - you CAN"T hire someone to ski for you!
Au contraire, mon ami.
I cannot be hired to paint but will offer a very competitive per vert ski rate. Small surcharge for hiking to snow.
Will even post a report under your name.
Nominal charge for attached pictures. No one would ever know it wasn't you

Nice to see good coverage out on the Sholes Glacier, Old Reliable for September turns.

author=md2020 link=topic=5131.msg21552#msg21552 date=1153160476] Where was everybody?

Glad there are others still skiiing the easy stuff at the end of the road.  I was up there last weekend and skied the little thread remaining between the Inner Glacier and Bagley Basin: one ski wide with flowing water underneath.  This weekend I opted for Ruth, just because I felt a need to suffer. Besides, the parking lot scene at the Mt. Baker Ski Area always depresses me. 

author=md2020 link=topic=5131.msg21552#msg21552 date=1153160476] Can you believe that guy kept his skis on and did little switchbacks up to the trail?

This description identifies "Steve" very clearly.

Thanks for the report.  Oh, and knock off that talk about painting the house.  Fergodsakes it's only July!

Mark

Reply to this TR

july-15-2006-coleman-pinnacle-mt-baker
md2020
2006-07-17 10:21:16