Home > Trip Reports > July 10, 2006, Snowdome Mt. Hood

July 10, 2006, Snowdome Mt. Hood

7/10/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by maxr on 7/11/06 9:48am
Jumped on the Snowdome bandwagon and went up yesterday with Greg S.  5:15 am departure from Cloud Cap.  Went up the East moraine and crossed the Elliot Glacier around 7300 ft.  Crevasses are starting to open up but it's still passable.  The bridge is out over Elliot Creek but there is a moderate size snow bridge for now.  I agree with others that the 'dome is in great shape right now.  We had good skiing all the way down to the Timberline trail through the Languille bowls with one small portage over the rocks between the upper and lower bowl.  Some rock and debris down low and definitely sun cupped but no runnels.  About a 5hr 45 minute round trip for us with a 30 min stop up top.
I've never been up to snowdome, and am planning a trip this weekend.  I've seen that most people have said there's one open crevasse up top.  In general, are there lots of crevasses to watch out for, or mostly just up top? Thanks.

I'm not sure about current conditons, but on the 1st there was just one big obvious one up around 9000'. In years past I've seen and skied right over smaller ones lower down. All in all I don't think theres much danger to worry about, just go and have a great ski.

Reply to this TR

july-10-2006-snowdome-mt-hood
maxr
2006-07-11 16:48:17