Home > Trip Reports > July 9, 2006, Snowdome, Mt Hood

July 9, 2006, Snowdome, Mt Hood

7/9/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 7/11/06 6:52am
It is great to see so many Snowdome reports here. There's not a lot I can add on the reports already posted. The 'dome is starting to get mildy cupped, with a bit heavier cupping in the Langille bowls. The only crevasses we saw were on the climber's right side, and there's a few cracks opening up near Anvil rock. You can ski all the way to the Timberline trail with just one short portage between the 1st and 2nd Langille bowls. Aaron was my partner for the day--unforunately, no where near as cute as my ski last partner.

Aaron at the base of the 'dome Sunday morning:

Aaron descending from the top of the dome:

Aaron in the middle of the 2nd Langille bowl:

Snowdome is one of the best tours on Mt Hood. It's getting a bit bumpy now, but a week sooner and it definitely would have been worth the drive from Seattle.
Jeff,

Thanks for the report and great pictures!  I'm heading up there on to ride on Friday with a friend from the Southern Willamette Valley.  I noted you only saw a few crevasses up high.  Is the snow bridge still intact.  If not, was the crossing of Elliot Creek skecthy?  Any info on that would be appreciated :)  Thanks,

Matt

I just looked and saw this report was from Sunday (not Monday like I orginally thought).  I assume the snow bridges were still there as they were in the July 8th report.

Hi Matt - The snowbridge over the Eliot is still intact. The seasonal bridge was not in place yet on Sunday. If the snowbridge is gone, it may be a bit sketchy of a crossing.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff, twice in a row now I've come down to Oregon for a tour and picked the same trip as you.  You all blew by the two us at the base of the dome and then we had lunch just below you at the top.

I really like the Snowdome, 3700' of uphill nets 3700' of turns, even in July! We followed the original route of the Timberline trail out from Langille and had no problems crossing a snow bridge on the Eliot at that lower elevation, should be good for another week at least.

Hey Freshie,

Good to hear that the old trail lead to a good snow bridge. I hate that last little climb from where the trail is 'closed' up th the new crossing point. when i was up there a couple weeks ago I knew there was probably a snow bridge down lower but decided to go with the known as I was pretty tired out (had to hike up to the trailhead before the road opened) and wasn't sure the condition of the old trail and possible snow bridges.

I could see the old trail leading down into the creek on the north side and it seemed in pretty good conditon, is it easy to follow all the wall back to the TH?

Thanks for the post, nice to know thats a viable option in the early season while theres still snow bridging the creek.

Wow Freshie - I had no idea that was you again! What a small world. Thanks for the update re the lower bridge. That's super good info. I too love the Snowdome tour!

Jeff

Just got back from skiing snowdome today (Saturday).  The snow was still great at 1:30pm this afternoon all the way down to the TL trail.  The snow bridge near the location of the summer bridge on the new Timberline Trail section near Cloud Cap is still good.  There is a small hike over tallus at the top of the Languile (sp?) bowls as others have mentioned and the waterfall at the bottom is still mostly covered but watch for the large crevasse in the middle (my dog nearly fell in it!).  The snow bridge over the lower "old" crossing of Elliot Creek is huge and should be there for a while.  It is still possible to ski from the top of snow dome to whithin a few hundred feet of the upper bridge if you traverse accross the lower part of the Elliot.
Good Skiing,
David

I was up on Snowdome Friday (14th) and had a great day.  We followed Eliot Creek up to where it was coming out of the glacier and crossed there.  We saw the the seasonal bridge on shore waiting to be put in place.  We booted up the edge of the
Eliot - many open crevasses but easy navigation.  We elected to ski along the side of the Eliot as time was short.  The snow was the worst at the top of Snowdome, but became nice corn after about 500 vf.  Lower on the Eliot ice is starting to protrude and make for some scrapy turns.  Lots of little fissures to ski over down low.

Reply to this TR

july-9-2006-snowdome-mt-hood
Jeff Huber
2006-07-11 13:52:16