Home > Trip Reports > July 8, 2006, Adams Glacier + NFNWR, Mt. Adams

July 8, 2006, Adams Glacier + NFNWR, Mt. Adams

7/8/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 7/8/06 1:10pm
Joe, Mark and I rolled into the Divide Camp trailhead yesterday around 8 pm and used a couple of remaining daylight hours to get higher on the mountain.  Mosquitos at TH were terrible, but at our 7k camp there were none.  We climbed the Adams Glacier as the route seemed more interesting than any other option from high camp.  It was a very nice route and with several good choices and options for navigating.  We were alone on the route and it was a stark contrast to the zoo that met us at the summit.  Skied down a little after noon which turned out to be pretty good for the NFNWR, a little hard for the first 2-300, but no sluff management issues to speak of at the trickier spots.  Stopped at the Takh Takh (sp?) Lake for a refresher and to admire the mountain.  Good route, good company, good weather, all good.
Hi Oyvind-
Sounds like a great day for you!!!  I'm heading out to Adams tomorrow and wondering if you have any beta on the condition of the SW chutes, or any suggestions for another route to be done solo on Monday AM.  I've been up the South Climb twice, only to be weathered off just below Piker's both times.  Wouldn't mind trying another way to the summit and perhaps something other than the SW chutes, although they would be my first choice, seeing as I'm solo and have a feel for that side of the mountain.  No snow here in N. Idaho...grabbed pretty much the last of it a couple of weeks ago in the Selkirks.  Strong work on Adams, mate!   
Thanks...Bill 

More pics from mark:

Heading on up the Adam's glacier.  This was the steepest section, but not much over 45:

Oyvind demonstrates the perfect tele turn as I demonstrate my inability to hold a camera level when short on oxygen:

Joe cranks 'em:

PF (Pucker Factor) = 4

some more pictures here

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7r3ar/joescascadetours2/id2.html

Awesome. Crazy to see how many people are getting on the NFNWR this year! Nice pictures.

Reply to this TR

july-8-2006-adams-glacier-nfnwr-mt-adams
Oyvind_Henningsen
2006-07-08 20:10:33