Home > Trip Reports > July 2, 2006, Tipsoo Pk/Howlock Mt, Southern OR

July 2, 2006, Tipsoo Pk/Howlock Mt, Southern OR

7/2/06
OR elsewhere
Posted by md2020 on 7/6/06 3:11am
Brenda and I headed down to Roseburg for what is becoming our bi-annual visit with my parents. On Sun we headed up to the Mt Thielsen/Diamond Lake area for a day of fun southern OR Cascade corn. We headed up the Cinnamon Butte road to the Tipsoo Pk trailhead only to be stopped by a log across the road ¾ miles from the trailhead. Not too bad though, since the trailhead at 6500€™ offers such easy access to the snow €“ the PCT passes through here at 7600€™ less than 2 miles from the trailhead.

Once out of the car it was a mad dash to reach the treeline and escape the mosquito zone below. I don€™t think I€™ve ever seen them this bad. At one pt I looked at my shoulder and saw not a single square mm not covered with these pests. The air was abuzz with the things. We quickly reached the open meadows of the saddle between Tipsoo Pk and Howlock Mt ridge where we found relief.

We climbed Tipsoo Pk and skied the bowl on the north side then worked our way around it€™s east flank back to the saddle. From there we gained the ridge which runs south to Howlock Mt. Skied into the northeast bowl then climbed a north bowl just to the east of Howlock Mt summit. Descended, climbed out and skied from the ridge down the west side and made our way back to the car.

Excellent snow on north aspects. Mt Bailey looked to be in excellent shape, and Mt Scott on east Crater Lake rim looked really good €“ I hear the east rim road isn€™t open yet though. Bring extra water. I forgot how dry this area can be, and relying on snow melt in our water bottles wasn€™t cutting it. We were forced to drink out of  a small puddle of snowmelt on our way back. We've been coming up to this area on the weekend of the 4th, but I€™d love to get up here a couple weeks earlier. I€™ll bet access to the trailhead is good in early June.

Reply to this TR

july-2-2006-tipsoo-pk-howlock-mt-southern-or
md2020
2006-07-06 10:11:30