Home > Trip Reports > July 2, 2006, (More) Adams SW Chutes

July 2, 2006, (More) Adams SW Chutes

7/2/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Nate R on 7/6/06 1:46am
Well, you all know the story because it seemed to be a very popular route last weekend.  But we did it, too!  :)  it was the first time on Adams for 3 of the 4 of us (Kirsten, Anastasia, Marcus and I); and the first down the SW Chutes for us all.  Just a couple notes: I need to remember to bring my damn earplugs -- I had a horrible time sleeping Saturday night because of all the traffic, which made the first couple hours Sunday all the more grueling (I had the same problem on Hood a couple weeks ago -- you'd think I'd learn).  There was a woman who injured her leg Saturday and had to spend the night at the Lunch Counter unexpectedly.  I don't know who any of the parties were, but just wanted to give props to the first responders and SAR people who gave her and her partner food, shelter, and assistance down.  We felt lucky the summit was in such good skiable condition -- heard the stories of icyness and were glad to have good snow.  We were glad for the unexpected high cloud cover -- it was bloody hot when the sun was out!  Lastly: Southwest Chutes... holy crap... What a line!  I've never been halfway down a slope that perfect, looked down at the remaining slope, and thought, "it's too far!"   ;D  Awesome! 

Here are a couple pics

we shot a beer ad on the summit -- just waiting for that call from a sponsor:

Kirsten skiing with Mt St Helens in the background

Great trip -- the 7100 foot traverse out is getting a little thin.  I see why Kam called it the p-tex traverse...

And to whoever "volunteered" to polish off our second 16er of Rainier at the summit -- you're welcome!  Good skiing with y'all, for however short a time.

Reply to this TR

july-2-2006-more-adams-sw-chutes
Nate R
2006-07-06 08:46:50