Home > Trip Reports > June 29 - July 1, 2006, Mt Adams

June 29 - July 1, 2006, Mt Adams

6/29/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 7/5/06 6:18am
Southwest Chutes, Mt Adams...

It was the Wednesday before and here I was sitting at the Swell, once again contemplating a destination for the weekend, over some guinys and a hefty serving of bangers n€™mash.  No decision should be made on an empty stomach.  I was searching for a trip that could follow and mimic the sensation of doing Shasta the weekend before.  Why not Adams.  Why not?  The forecast seemed to be in favor so just like that on a Thursday afternoon, Rob and I were driving down FS-23 to Trout Lake to obtain our climbing permits.  After the drive to Shasta this drive seemed to go by quick.

Before long we were parked at the Cold Springs campground at 5,600ft.  When we left on Thursday late afternoon there was still a 2-3ft snowbank across the road, restricting access to the last bit of parking by the bathrooms.  After around a mile or so of hiking we switched to skins around 6,100ft.  We found a nice bluff to camp on around 6,700ft that overlooked Hood to the south, St Helens to the west and the Crescent Glacier and Adams right in front of us.  This spot also offered some of the finest .  Rob and I skinned up this finger of snow to the right, topping out around 7,400ft.  Back at camp a hearty dinner followed, along with this spectacular sunset...

and a few minutes
here's looking up about half way uphere's looking back down.

By the time Rob and I reached the

At the very bottom of Pikers the suncups became more apparent but actually helped you carry speed on a board due to the sticky snow.

Back at camp dinner was served along with amazing views:
and .  By 9am the sun started to hit the chutes.  We were gonna have some time to kill again.  While the gang went to tag the summit I took a nap and shared some brews with more familiar faces.  Robie and company along with red goat Steve, Adam and John.  By 1:30pm the snow was perfect and it was finally time to git er dun!

Even though 20 plus people were observed entering the chutes, there were no problems getting smooth, untracked corn.  Towards the bottom third of the chutes, on a steeper slope boarders right, I cut some wet sluffs couple inches deep.  It was slow enough to out run but never seemed to stop as it hissed by.  It ran for a ways and started somewhere between 9-10k.  Never the less still run that you can hang your hat on.  Some more harvesting pics.

tomorrow.

I leave you with a pic of a
Wow ! great shots and good being on a mountain surrounded by friendlies

I suspect we were among the hordes who passed by as you enjoyed your beer (and warned some climbers they were descending the wrong way?). Sorry I didn't properly introduce myself.

I think we skied down the chutes shortly before you did, and a bit later I looked back and saw you on your skintrack traverse back to the s. climb. Damn - sounds like that was perhaps a better choice than our descending traverse - we managed on mostly snow for a ways, but then had to carry for about 1.3 miles of slow traversing on/near the round-the-mountain trail, which somehow took us over an hour in our end-of-day stupor. Oh well, will have to try the climbing traverse the next time to compare...

Reply to this TR

june-29-july-1-2006-mt-adams
snoslut
2006-07-05 13:18:19