Home > Trip Reports > July 2-3, 2006, In the snow shadow of Mt Rainier

July 2-3, 2006, In the snow shadow of Mt Rainier

7/2/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 7/4/06 3:46am

This was not a ski trip, but I thought other Crystal Mountain skiers might find it interesting. My wife, son and I spent a couple days hiking near Crystal Mountain this weekend. I've always known that Crystal is in the snow shadow of Mount Rainier, but this trip really demonstrated it graphically.

In the photo above, notice how the snowpack disappears north (right) of Siver Basin (the basin just left of my son, in the distance). This picture was taken from Crown Point and it looks along the Cascade Crest toward Threeway Peak. Right now, the south edge of Mount Rainier's snow shadow is clearly visible running roughly along this crest. Morse Creek, Chinook Pass and areas to the south still have lots of snow above about 5500 feet. Crystal Mountain, East Peak and points north are mostly dry, with just isolated snow patches.

I've talked to people who did snow surveys in the 1950s to determine the feasibility of building a ski area at Crystal. They started out investigating Corral Pass, farther north and even deeper in the snow shadow, and abandoned it due of lack of snow. It was fun during our hike to really see the effect of the snow shadow, something normally left to the imagination. I've marked the approximate south boundary of the snow shadow on the map below. The north boundary is just a guess.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Amar Andalkar who posted about a surprising increase in snowdepths northeast of Baker and Mt. St. Helens that he noticed in his research (right Amar?).  It was also posted sometime about someone noticing markedly less snow on the northwest side of Baker.  I think it is a very interesting question to explore the mesoscale precipitation variations around big, isolated relief like the volcanoes.  Does not only shadowing but also convergence occur?  Surrounding topography have an effect?  Volcano size?  I am studying meteorology at UW and have spent a lot of time thinking about this.

Wow, really interesting stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

Reply to this TR

july-2-3-2006-in-the-snow-shadow-of-mt-rainier
Lowell_Skoog
2006-07-04 10:46:36