Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2006, Interglacier Mt Rainier

July 1, 2006, Interglacier Mt Rainier

7/1/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Richard_Korry on 7/3/06 1:55pm
Carl Gronquist, Denver TAY-er David Polaner and I did a very enjoyable day tour on the Interglacier on Mt Rainier. David was in back in town for a wedding and was looking for people to go skiing. We were able to make the connection and car pool to MRNP. The climbers parking at White River Campground was full but we were able to find a spot nearby to park. We left the parking lot at a little after 9am and headed up the trail towards Glacier Basin. The hike in was snow free until we were close to the basin. The basin is pretty snow free and we followed the trail aways before heading down to the White River to put on skiis/skins.

Conditions were very reasonable going up - a cool breeze kept the heat at bay while clouds would break off the mountain's large cloud cap and provide periodic shade. The snow surface was slightly sun cupped lower down but really in good shape. We made it up to 8700' before time ran out due to  committments back in town. The skiing was excellent with ego snow making one feel like they really knew how to ski! This was great since my days out this year could be counted on one hand.

We saw maybe a half a dozen other skiers/boarders descending with the normal contigent of climbers roped together and plodding up like they had been sentenced to 5-10 years without parole. Crevasses were starting to open although they were very easy to avoid. The largest was at around 7k far to skiers right.

Many, many thanks to Richard and Carl for a great day of summer skiing- month 21 in my TAY streak.

Reply to this TR

july-1-2006-interglacier-mt-rainier
Richard_Korry
2006-07-03 20:55:02