Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2006, Sunrise Chutes

July 3, 2006, Sunrise Chutes

7/3/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 7/3/06 1:53pm
Hillary, Dale, Jill and I stopped at the hairpin turn just before Sunrise to view the ski route on Dege Peak. There were a few old tracks and the recent hot weather has narrowed the descent routes. The trail from the hairpin parking lot is snowfree.  We decided to drive to Sunrise.  The south facing slopes before Sunrise are almost completely BARE.  :(

In the parking lot we met the Heber clan and strolled together up the mostly bare paved trail to the ridge trail above Sunrise Lodge.  The first chute at the top of the trail has good coverage with a slight rollover then the slope widens.  We met Chris (Scotsman) at the top of this chute and before we had our stuff organized Chris was descending and skimming the tops of the suncups for us.  The group descended this slope which was about 400 vertical.  I walked east about 50 feet and skied a narrower chute which squeezed down a bit and required some jump turns before opening up.  The sun cups were manageable but increased in size as the slope mellowed out.  By the time we saddled the skis Chris was already making his second run.  He's a machine.

After booting back to the top, we decided to walk further west along the trail and look for better terrain.  Along the path we passed one narrow chute that "goes" and a few that were melted out half way down.  We finally reached another slope that had a pleasant entry and widened nicely.  Again Chris darted down the slope and shaved the sun cups before we had even geared up.  The slope was steep and again sun cupped but manageable.  After booting back to the top, we decided that a Blizzard at DQ would be a lot more fun, so we bundled up the toys and started the journey back to the cars.  Naturally, our presence with skis was the subject of numerous comments and photos by tourists.  Hiking down in ski boots was another reminder of why I like to start and finish on snow. 

The photo below is looking east along the ridge trail.  I did not ski Sunrise last year during the opening weekend, but I spoke to a few folks who had and they mentioned that the snowpack this year is not much better -- probably due to the sustained heat wave we are experiencing.  What's there won't last very long with the weather forecast.    Zap & Jill
Zap:
As you looked south, how did the Barrier Peak/Governor's Ridge basin look, in terms of snow coverage?

Nice beta; thanks...GregLange

Greg, I don't recall the snow coverage on Governors Ridge but it is around 6500 feet which is about the altitude of the Sunrise area.  The photo gives you an idea of the type of coverage at a similar altitude.

I looked over there on Sunday, Greg.  Scoped out both GR and Tamanos pretty good.  GR had some skiable lines on the NNE slopes but it looked like a hell of a shwack to get into them.  Pretty much the same for Tamanos; the cone is still holding snow on the N facing lines but it looks like a carry all the way in.  Who knows, you might be able to shoot right up there and nail those lines... us geezers don't like to carry that far ;).
If you decide to check it out you can always drive up to Sunshine point to scope it out and see how the GR upper slopes survived the week.  Good view across from there (assuming no low clouds).

Yes, I was a bit surprised by how much Sunrise was melted out. However I was not surprised by the pleasent day my son had skiing for a bit with as he says "the big guys". Thanks for the tour of the runs we hit  Ron,, had a great time.
CW

Reply to this TR

july-3-2006-sunrise-chutes
Zap
2006-07-03 20:53:06