Home > Trip Reports > July 2, 2006- Rainier via Emmons

July 2, 2006- Rainier via Emmons

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by korup on 7/3/06 1:46pm
     Due to various time constraints, Barry (aka €œnormanclyde€), Rob (cc.com) and I decided to do a one day push up the Emmons. Given the excellent weather window, we hoped the views and skiing would be worth it.  Barry and I met up with Rob in the White River campground, did the usual gear-sorting water-drinking routine, and headed up the trail at 9pm.  We stopped at Glacier Basin to admire the moon over the route, cruised to the base of the Inter Glacier, and then began the plod upwards, everyone immersed in their own lighted bubble. The boot-track was deep and obvious, making that faster than skinning. After wasting half an hour futzing around on the descent to the Emmons, we arrived at Schurman at 2:30 am. We began melting snow, catnapping, and shivering, then got to watch the sky incrementally lighten; it is a spectacular place to watch sunrise.
     At 5am, we followed the other parties up the interstate highway-sized boot track, skirting a few huge holes along the way. Barry (aka €œcardiomutant€) was feeling antsy and began dropping us around 11k; Rob and I were in tortoise-mode and stopped a few times to nap in the blazing sun. The cloud cap was extending down to around 13k; our pace slowed to glacial from there to the summit. We stumbled around the edge in the clouds, arriving on top at 1:30 pm, with absolutely no view to be seen! Reversing our tracks, the first 1500 ft of skiing was less than ideal, as the clouds had thickened considerably to a full whiteout, forcing us to wand hop down the corrugated boot track. The remainder of the run down to Schurman was in thick mashed potatoes, also no fun. After a quick stop to drink water and stuff food and coffee into ourselves, we slogged to the top of the Inter Glacier and began ripping some splendid creamy snow all the way back to Glacier Basin. The 3 miles out were long, long, long. We finally arrived at the cars at 8pm, feeling damn tired and hungry, but pretty content after a staggeringly long ski run!
Nice trip report and photos.  Your trip reminds me of my first summit on Rainier in zero visibility.  That was an incredibly long day.  Your trip also reminds us that not every adventure has great snow and views from the summit.  It is seldom that folks talk about those trips.  But most importantly it was a "roundtrip" for everyone in your group.  Zap

Nice work - sounds fun. (?) 

I'm curious: how much longer do you think the Emmons will be suitable for skiing?  There's a buzz about trying it in a couple of weeks if the weather and conditions allow, thus the question.

thanks,
-s

It wasn't all bad.  I was annoyed to miss summit views again-- both of my visits to the summit plateau have been whited out.  This time I turned back at about 14K, being too far to the north and reluctant to cross untested soft snow bridges solo (which situation was of my own making).  I couldn't see slope aspects in the clouds and booted down to about 13.5K.  Preparing to ski, I dropped my skin bag which promptly rolled into a crevasse  >:( but then enjoyed a few good GS turns from 13K down to 11K or so.  The lower Emmons was less than outstanding.  The Inter Glacier was the best run of the day.  Coming over the hump midway down, feeling gravity's pull, I was close to Nirvana.  But my favorite part of the trip was on ascent: my rest break on Steamboat Prow just above Schurman, taking in the city lights on one side, the strings of headlamps climbing the Emmons on the other, the Milky Way overhead, the silence all around.

Regarding conditions, there is not too much zigzagging required to avoid crevasses, though quite a few slopes are exposed to yawning gaps below and caution is advised.  I chose to descend a line to the south (skier's right) of the main ascent corridor, separated from it by a large cirque.  One must traverse south up high to reach this line, as the cirque is defended by seracs up high.  One can cross the lower cirque (no open crevasses) to rejoin the climber's path at about 10.5K.  However, there are still skiable lines alongside the main boot path.   The Inter Glacier is in prime condition, showing  only a few gaps which are easily skirted.  You can ski nearly to the Glacier Basin campsites if you don't mind wetting your feet crossing the Inter Fork at the bottom.

Nice work. 

Hey Skip - what days are you guys thinking of doing it?  If it doesn't work out this weekend (due to weather or campsite availability), I would like to join you guys if at all possible.

Hey there,

I am planning to ski the Emmons or the Fuhrer Finger this weekend, have Sat-Tuesday, but would like to do in a one day push.  Am planning on a solo but would prefer a partner(s).  Cheers,  cbc

Reply to this TR

july-2-2006-rainier-via-emmons
korup
2006-07-03 20:46:46