Home > Trip Reports > july 01, 2006, sw chutes, mt. adams

july 01, 2006, sw chutes, mt. adams

7/1/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kam on 7/3/06 3:38am

it's still nice up there.  Allyson, Cass, Frank, Kelvin, Kevin and i day tripped from Cold Springs.  it was a suprisingly busy weekend with the nice weather.  we ran into a handful of familiar faces, including snoslut and his posse and Robie Pruden and gang.  the summit was beautiful, calm, and warm.  the snow between the top and Piker's was decent.  conditions in the Chutes were great, but not too late in the day.  the mini-circumnav back to the south route is starting to thin-out in spots, exposing one of my favorites: the P-tex traverse.  it's skiable within 1-mile of the TH at Cold Springs.  Joy-O-Meter (JOM) >> 5%  ;D.

Nice. Plenty of P-Tex still in Kelvin's basement!

Always good to see your smilin faces. MArkhof was there too later in day. Also Julie (Olympia) fresh from summitting Everest. Four us Tom Kress , Dave Somerseth ,Alpine rose and myself summited and had a fantastic ski back down std.route. Thanks for showing Ken and Kaine the traverse out of SW chutes. The were extremely pleased. I'm working on Kaine and his girlfriend Dave's sister to sign up for GTCR class.
Our original plan was to ski two days in row but bone/muscle structures wouldn't have it. Got up late an did a spelunker lite trip to Ice Cave's in trout lake.Worth a trip for sure .Nice pics KAmmer

Cool pictures. Fun with the fish eye.  8)

Nice Kam, glad you guys had a great day.  No doubt, you must have heard Michael's yodel at least a few times from Rainier.  :)

I think you guys were just a bit behind us in the chutes, based on hearing rumor of your being at the summit while we lazed at the false summit.

As we did the traverse out, we saw some folks who were on a climbing traverse on a snow ramp that led back up toward the s. climb from the narrow snow exit that is past the left traverse out of the base of the chutes. I wonder how high they had to climb to find a continuous ski back down to the climb?

Since we had about 25-30lbs of camera gear collectively, there's bound to be some pictures. Here are a few of mine:

Chris
360 summit panorama

The rest:
Mt. Adams 7/2006

Thanks for another great trip.

-k

Cool. We were the last to summit on the same day. We took my 8 yr old neice to the summit (big day from the parking lot for her) and she skied down. Pretty cool. She did have to walk a section on the false summit portion which really iced up when the sun went down. I had a hard time making it any fun at that point. Everything lower down was great though!!!

Cool pics Kam and K Wu! and great seeing other familiar faces there on Saturday!  That was by far the best ski from the summit conditions I've had up there (as opposed to the usual boiler-plate ice); the snow in the chutes was still ok despite being a little over-cooked and 'grabby' from the afternoon sun...

I wasn't able to get any good ski shots with the 'point-and-shoot' digital [just got the SLR back from being cleaned on Monday">, but a few other trip photos are posted here.

author=Jim Oker link=topic=5053.msg21303#msg21303 date=1152080561]
As we did the traverse out, we saw some folks who were on a climbing traverse on a snow ramp that led back up toward the s. climb from the narrow snow exit that is past the left traverse out of the base of the chutes. I wonder how high they had to climb to find a continuous ski back down to the climb?

It may have been people whose tracks we followed on Sunday -- we did a rising traverse for about 300 v.f. after exiting the shoots and traversing left.  This led to a nice ramp which let us connect all the way over to the s. route.  Had to take the skis off for a few dry connections between gullies, but we ended up on the south route around tree-line pretty easily.  

yes, i too agree that it was a fantastic day.  what was it, about 75 degrees at the summit??  ;)  seriously, we should have brought our bbq up there.  next time.  ;D

The ascending traverse might have been us.  We skied down to about 6900 then picked out way up and over to about 7200 on the crescent glacier.  Bill was able to pick a route through the rocks that only required one skin over rocks and one veggie belay...but it worked out well. 

Steve

Reply to this TR

july-01-2006-sw-chutes-mt-adams
kam
2006-07-03 10:38:08