Home > Trip Reports > July 1 and 2, 2006, Flett and Russell Glaciers

July 1 and 2, 2006, Flett and Russell Glaciers

7/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by TonyM on 7/3/06 3:08am
Day one, Spray Park and Flett Glacier.  Nick C scored a legal camping permit at the 6200 foot level just south of the main trail in Spray Park.  Since there were only 2 sites avaible in this zone, we felt pretty lucky given a 4 day weekend and a great weather forecast.  The ranger at Carbon River ranger station lectured us, and then asked for our acknowledgment, on the meaning of low impact camping before handing over the coveted permit.  He actually cracked a smile when I answered yes we understood that meant burning our trash before we left.

So we found a great low impact site, set up camp, ate and relaxed for a couple hours.  We headed up the snow field in the late afternoon with the intensions of skiing the face of the Flett Glacier, just to the west of Observation Rock.  You can see this face from many vantage points up thru Spray Park and it had captured my imagination during a trip last year.  We skinned to the point where the slope became steep, then booted to the top.  We topped out at around 5:00 PM, and took 3 separate lines.  From the bottom looking up, Brad took the far right line, Nick the center, and I took the left most line.  Brad went first and everything held.  I went next.  A very slow moving quarter inch thick slough followed me and erased most of the evidence.  Nick took the center line but his slough caught up to him about half way down the hill.  From a distance, (and it was visible for a loooong ways) it looked much worse than it was.  Total accumulation at the very bottom was about 4 inches thick. 

Day two, Russell Glacier.  Woke up at a leisurely hour and headed up around 9:00 AM.  The views on that side of Rainier are spectacular- colorful rock formations, the intimidating north and west sides of Rainier, and the glacier carved valleys below.  The skin up didn't seem to take much effort as we were gawking at the scenery the entire time.  The three of us skinned up to the 9200 foot mark, but Brad continued up to the highest point just to the left of the flat rest area.  He quickly dispatched both the hike up and ski down, and then joined us on a rocky outcropping.  We stayed here for a half hour or so scouting the north and west faces of Rainier for climbers.  We spotted 4 climbers far to the right of Liberty Ridge, and followed their progress for some time.  After a rest, we tightened boots, stepped into bindings, and then enjoyed some good snow over Russell's moderate, undulating rollers.

Generally, snow conditions were good.  But while there is plenty of snow left, warm temps are just starting to take it's toll on skiing quality.  I'd guestimate a couple more weeks before snow turns to sun cups and ice.
Looks like a fun tour you all had.  How was the approach?  Where did you hit continuous snow? 

Hello Merk-  we hit patches of snow just as we entered Spray Park, where the trees end and open area begins.  There are long fingers of snow to the left and right as you gain elevation, so it's hard to describe which one you give you continuous snow.  That said, you should be able to find continuous snow at around 5600 feet, off to the south/hikers right of the summer trail.  The hike in to Spray Park is relatively fast due to the lack of significant elevation gain, and a great trail.  It took us a slow paced 3 hours from the trail head to our camp site at 6240 feet.  From there to the top of the Flett Glacier (the steep face to the right of Observation Rock) only took an additional hour and a half.  I think we made the top of the Russell Glacier in about 3 hours as well (from 6240)  with lots of stopping for pictures.  All very doable in a day.  A couple parties had started at 7:30 on Sunday and made it back by 5:00 PM or so.

some more photo's here that might help:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64293959@N00/sets/72157594186644718/

This photo of the Flett HW was taken the next AM.

Reply to this TR

july-1-and-2-2006-flett-and-russell-glaciers
TonyM
2006-07-03 10:08:58