Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2006, Klickitat, NFNWR

July 1, 2006, Klickitat, NFNWR

7/1/06
Posted by ema on 7/2/06 6:49am
Inspiration for this trip came from the late Ben Manfredi. He and Charlie Berg skied this route for the first time in 1999. He would then repeat the route every year...Must be good!...Yesterday, Matt Church and I finally fulfilled our desires to ski this route. We took the "other" roads to the TH, but it seems the standard way should be snow-free now. Snow started below the meadows and became deeper at the PCT (we were able to ski to the upper meadow on the way out). We camped at the "big cairn" krumholtz camp, but will camp near the lake next time. The North Ridge was interesting and loose. The climb from our low camp took 6.5 hours. We saw lots of people on the summit and south summit from our perch on the west summit. Began our ski at 1:30. This was a great time for this day. 1" deep, soft snow for most of the ski. Near the exit, the snow became a bit deeper, catching the tails a bit. Time to adjust our technique!! Overall, the snow is starting to show texture (check second pic). Also, runnels are begining on the last steep pitch near the exit, but managable by skiing between them (check last pic). A great, committing, steep ski! Peace to Ben (thank you) and respect to all of his family and bro's.
Thanks toby. Nice job! Lots of people are skiing this line over the last several weeks. I hadn't seen this report. Way to go. Glad everyone is having fun up there.

BTW, did you ski on the Klickitat too?

I think that's Klickitat as in one of the original names of the mountain:

Klickitat

Username's right. Although I have wondered of the potential of the Klickitat Glacier for skiing (closer to the Mazama)!... I like to use the original names when I can. It seems like the right name to use since we have feelings of respect, elation, fear, ect. towards the mountains, much like the natives do. The name "Adams" is in honor of a president of the USA who never set foot on the mtn., and probably had never even seen it. The creator of the re-naming campaign (check usernames link) was an outsider who never even knew Klickitat existed!! Turns out to be fairly shameful in the end.  :-[  Anyway, that's a great ski!!!

Yeah I've taken to doing this too.  The original names are so much cooler anyway, and more often than not are related to names of the surrounding geography.

Nice work Toby!  Tell Matt that "fatass" says hello...  Did you guys get my email about the Sorcerer Lodge next February?

Hey Marcus. I'll let Matt know! Sorry about not getting back to you yet. We recently returned home from a long June trip. Unfortunately, those dates won't work for us (Sylvie or I). But I checked out the link you sent in full. Looks nice! Thanks for the invite, should be another memorable trip. I still can't get over Fairy Meadows!!

No worries.  If it's as good as FM, I'll be ecstatic.  Nice work on Klickitat -- we skied the sw chutes on Sunday and were revelling in the weather...  So good.

"Klickitat" instead of Adams.  I like that.  I have never liked calling Denali "McKinley" for the same reasons you give.  So, if we are to be consistent, we need the complate list:

"Tahoma" instead of "Rainier"
"Koma Kulshan" instead of "Baker"
"Shuksan" remains as is, I assume, as does "Shasta"

But what are the others?  Hood, Glacier Peak, St. Helens?

(Nice ski on Klickitat North, by the way.  I'm jealous.)

Hood is Wy'East.  Also St Helens is Loowit, according to some brief googling.

from wikipedia:

Mount St. Helens was known as Louwala-Clough which means "smoking or fire mountain" in the language of the local Native Americans, the Klickitats. 

According to their Bridge of the Gods tale, Wyeast (Mount Hood) and Pahto (Mount Adams; also called Paddo or Klickitat by natives) were the sons of Great Spirit. The brothers both competed for the love of the beautiful La-wa-la-clough (Mount St. Helens). 

Glacier's name, I believe, is Dakobed...  Got that from Lowell's site...

A complete list would be nice. In addition to the above:

Pitt-----------McLoughlin
Cheekeye---Garibaldi

I'm off to ski on Koma Kulshan--the great white watcher!

author=Marcus link=topic=5049.msg21389#msg21389 date=1152310213]
Glacier's name, I believe, is Dakobed...  Got that from Lowell's site...

There's a paragraph in CAG (the green one I guess?) that implies Dakobed means the same thing as Tahoma, just a different dialect.  It lists a bunch of variants of Dakobed - basically a series of letter substitutions that morphs it into Tahoma.

Don't all these mountain names just mean "big white thing"?

The U.S. Geological Survey has some good history on the naming of several of the Cascade Volcanoes.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/LivingWith/Historical/volcano_names.html

As an amusing side-note, I vaugely recall reading some historical account years ago about the City of Tacoma's strong campaign during the later 1800's to change the 'official' name of "Mt. Rainier" to the native name "Tacoma".  If I recall correctly, there was widespread disagreement over which native name to use for the mountain, since the native names for Mt. Rainier (and other volcanoes as well) varied quite a bit between local tribes (i.e. "Tahoma", "Takhoma", "Ta-co-bet", and many others).  Hence, the name of the British Rear Admiral Peter Rainier (who never even saw the mountain) stuck as the 'official' name recognized by the U.S. government.

Thanks Fatass!!! The NFNWR was a great ski. Unfortunately the Sorcerer Lodge dates don't work for me...but I'm sure it will be just as much fun (or more...if thats possible) as Fairy Meadows was.

The name Cheekeye for Mount Garibaldi comes from the Squamish Nation. Apparently it means "dirty place". Take one look at Dalton Dome and Atwell and you'll know why they called it that.

author=philfort link=topic=5049.msg21391#msg21391 date=1152311122]

Don't all these mountain names just mean "big white thing"?

Perhaps some of these names do (but some don't). And, in my opinion, it sure beats "big white man".

Big white man....how about GRANDE' GRINGO.

Reply to this TR

july-1-2006-klickitat-nfnwr
ema
2006-07-02 13:49:14