Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2006, Mazama Rt., Mt. Hood

June 25, 2006, Mazama Rt., Mt. Hood

6/25/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by jd on 7/1/06 3:07am
Jeff and I rode up the chair lift after a bit of a run around buying tickets (go to the Ski Services office in the day lodge and ask for a climber ticket which is $20, be sure to have your wilderness use permit with you, and a cell phone).

We watched the hordes of guided climbers descending past us as we booted up to the Hogsback (firm snow was too icy and bumpy for easy skining). Ice and rock fall down the Pearly Gates sent us climber's left over to the Mazama rt. where some ice chip bombardment got us speed climbing the icy slope to safety. We left our skis at the ridge crest and walked over to the summit. We seemed to be the last ones on top, so enjoyed the warm calm afternoon taking in the view, waiting for the top slope to soften.

The first narrow section was icy and ticky, but below that quite nice. Below the Hogsback we skied the White River Glacier on smooth corn, then traversed over to the lift slopes for a fun slushy ride to the parking lot.

Photos: Jeff climbing the top of the Mazama rt., skiing the nice smooth slope of the Mazama, dropping into the White River Glacier.
JD,

What is the date of your photos?  Looks great up there.  Was your alternate climbing/ski route out of the line of the schrund?  Recommend it as a solid up-route?

Good Job, 
Chris O'

Pin!

One of the advantages of the Mazama/Old Chute route is avoiding the shrund. A good climbing route as well as ski - no steps kicked, but in the conditions we found on the 25th it was excellent cramponing. If I was there early morning before any ice/rock fall and there was no one on the route I'd just run up the standard which is more direct, but if other parties are on it this is a very good alternative, and usually a much better ski.

Reply to this TR

june-25-2006-mazama-rt-mt-hood
jd
2006-07-01 10:07:43