Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2006, SW chutes, Mt. Adams

June 25, 2006, SW chutes, Mt. Adams

6/25/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by running_clouds on 6/28/06 6:37pm
Awesome day with awesome snow. Left Hood River around 3 AM on Sunday and drove within 5 minutes of the South Climb trailhead at Cold Springs Campground (even though the Ranger's Report said the road is passable only to Morrison Creek).

Started skiing around 4 AM, it was quite warm in the trees but the snow was just right. Awesome view of Mt. Hood from the treeline (see below). It got colder once we were above the treeline but still quite nice condition for the climb. Booted up from Lunch Counter to Piker's Peak, then skied to the summit. Spent hour and half on the summit, no wind, just great views.

Skied down on perfect corn around noon. The plan was to ski the SW chutes but we probably ended up taking one of the chutes toward the Avalanche Glacier. Perfect skiing on perfect corn with the exception of the last 200 meters which were rather suncupped and filled with rocks.

Back at the car at 2 PM. River Hood at 4 PM: 40°C (104°F). End of season, at least for me.

Pictures from the trip can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157594181228187/

Martin
Nice report, Martin.
And great pic of Hood.
We did the Chutes on Sunday as well, albiet not as quick as you did. 
Welcome to Turns-All-Year.

Thanks for the official welcome!
We probably saw each other on the summit. It seems everybody was up on Adams this past week and I must say if the mountain were not so far from Vancouver, BC I'd be skiing there every chance I got.
See you in the mountains!

Reply to this TR

june-25-2006-sw-chutes-mt-adams
running_clouds
2006-06-29 01:37:01