Home > Trip Reports > Muir Snowfield, June 25, 2006

Muir Snowfield, June 25, 2006

6/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Telemon on 6/27/06 12:17pm
It was Day 3 of our 3-day/3-volcano ski trip so it had to be Mount Rainier. We had lucked out the evening before when we (Nick, Peter and Bob) had found a motel room just outside the Park gates. Aware that parking spaces were limited at Paradise and that we had a 5 hour car ride to end the day, we made sure that we hit the trail to Muir by 7:45. There were several bare spots in the first half-mile and adequate coverage until the ridge with the junction to Panorama Point. A couple carries got us onto continuous snow to the rock islands above the Nisqually Chutes. Our time frame dictated that we start back from there. We dropped to the top of the Chute, but had second thoughts when we observed how dirty and narrow the throat looked up close.

We had great turns on the slope to the east of the Chute, but then had to do a little rock scrambling to continue on to the point where we were able to reconnect with the climber's ( and there were lots) trail. We arrived at the parking lot circus at 1:45 and our volcano trifecta was complete. The border official was more interested in talking ski stats ie. 30,000 vertical feet, 9,000 ski-climbed feet, etc. than how much we had spent in the U.S.A. on our 4 day/1000 mile trip. How Canadian,eh?!
Nice trip you guys.  You certainly brought the good weather with you.
Way to knock out a volcano road trip.
Nick, I got your message about joining you for a ski on Rainier.  Unfortunately I was on Adams when you left it or I would have joined you. 
I didn't get the message until my return on Monday.  Next time, eh?

This link to my photo site will provide a few more photos in larger format  http://gallery.telemen.ca/main.php?g2_itemId=1953

Enjoy,

Bob

Sweet. This just answered what I was looking for (why I didn't see this TR before I posted in the main forum I have no idea...)

we were up there yesterday and I've got to tell you that I've never seen the snowfield in such good condition. Hardly any suncups or runnels - weird, just the opposite of what we had experienced on Mt Ruth last weekend - and the hard freeze the night before made for some great corn. We skied the chute then climbed back to McClure Rock and skied the backside to Edith Creek. We managed continuous snow all the way to the parking lot except for one small patch of dirt at the top of Edith Creek bowl where the trail drops in.

author=ron j link=topic=5019.msg21137#msg21137 date=1151474108]
Nice trip you guys.  You certainly brought the good weather with you.
Way to knock out a volcano road trip.
Nick, I got your message about joining you for a ski on Rainier.  Unfortunately I was on Adams when you left it or I would have joined you. 
I didn't get the message until my return on Monday.  Next time, eh?

Yeah Ron it's a pity we couldn't have met up - looks like you had a good Adams visit too  :).  See you next time!

Reply to this TR

muir-snowfield-june-25-2006
Telemon
2006-06-27 19:17:26