Home > Trip Reports > June 25, Mt Shuksan, White Salmon Glacier

June 25, Mt Shuksan, White Salmon Glacier

6/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Paul_Russell on 6/26/06 3:10pm
I had always wanted to climb Mt Shuksan via the White Salmon Gl and ski it.  So when Joe's invite came along, it tempted me even knowing it might be a little late to avoid the dreaded and legendary bushwhack.  But having been into the basin to do the N Face earlier in the Spring, I'm thinking it can't be that bad -- lots of snow this year.  And of course these things never seem too bad when sitting at the computer screen.  Then Joe mentioned doing the circumnav of the summit, wow, now I'm in for sure.  So Rich, Joe and I headed off to our fateful adventure Sat afternoon and car camped at the Baker parking lot.  There we also ran into Oyvind, JoeE and Monika along with Mike C. and crew who had just completed the Watson traverse -- congrats on a great trip and hope to see a report soon!  Nice to meet you guys (Joe, note that they actually skied to the car).

Off around 5:30, we were in high spirits with the bluebird weather and  sites of our route in the distance.  And at first, the approach seemed benign
Rich Byrne descending the alder brush

For awhile (ok, 2 1/2 hours), it felt like Hells approach to Hells Highway.  But then, great rewards await those skiers who suffer (I'm sure some great ski buddha said that).  And sure enough, we had our moments....

Rich descending the White Salmon Gl (photo by Joe Catellani)

Skiing to Hells Highway (photo by Joe Catellani)

1. Ascending the White Salmon Gl
2. Joe descending the White Salmon Gl
3. Rich skiing
4. The Bake, Park Headwall (looks tricky)
5. The preferred route

For those (fool)hardy skiers still wanting to go, note in pic #5, there is a snow finger that goes up toward Shuksan Arm that we used for the return trip and saved group morale.  Walk the road to Chair 8 and beyond then traverse from there.  The lower route (in the green) is dreadful.  We also didn't complete the circumnav due to the broken up conditions on the Crystal Gl.  We ended up skiing 3 glaciers instead of 5 and crossing 2 cols instead of 4.  Back to the car by 7pm after a long day.  Still a great trip and highly recommended (just earlier in the season).  Thanks Joe  ;)
Nice TR Paul and great pictures.

The skis definitely deserve a "+" marking for the BW - so I take it you used quite a few four letter words? ;-)

Thanks Michael.  Yes, a few four letter words were involved, followed by the the 3 letter word, Joe. ;D  Fortunately we didn't leave any body parts on the mountain, just a boot buckle and a few ski straps entangled in the shrubery.

Reply to this TR

june-25-mt-shuksan-white-salmon-glacier
Paul_Russell
2006-06-26 22:10:39