Home > Trip Reports > ptarmigan traverse, June 22, 2006

ptarmigan traverse, June 22, 2006

6/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by don b on 6/26/06 11:24am
Jeff and I did the PT this past Thursday in super conditions.  With an 8000+' freezing level we only had icy conditions on the upper section of the Middle Cascade Glacier.  Leather boots and Europa 99's worked well.  Since it's a traverse there are very few turns until you drop from Spire Point to Cub Lake.  Our timing was perfect as once we left the vicinity of Cascade Pass we only touched bare ground for about 100 yards.  The gate was closed 2 miles from the Cascade Pass end so we left there at 2am and arrived at the other end at midnight.  Awesome trip
very envious I am.... nice job knocking out all those miles and vert. in one day!

Indeed. Sounds like your timing was perfect.  :)

Did you exit the traverse via Bachelor & Downey Creeks & the Suiattle River Road?  I thought that there are bridges out on both the trail and the road that make this impassable right now---or so the Forest Service claims.

Thanks

No problems walking out Bachelor and Downey other than the usual (long ways!).  Once you leave the little hanging valley beyond Cub Lake you walk through a pick up stick forest of avalanche debris to pick up the trail in the woods again.  It's much easier to follow coming down than going up!

Reply to this TR

ptarmigan-traverse-june-22-2006
don b
2006-06-26 18:24:26