Home > Trip Reports > June 25, Fuhrer Finger, Mt Rainier

June 25, Fuhrer Finger, Mt Rainier

6/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zee on 6/26/06 9:15am
After a few thwarted attempts due to weather and work schedules Adam, Phil and I finally made a run at skiing the Fuhrer Finger this past weekend. With a high freezing level forecast, we left at 1:30am to cross the Wilson Glacier and climb the finger.  We saw at least 4 other parties above us but no skiers to be had in those groups.  It was several hours of rock hard cramponing through the hourglass and onto the Upper Nisqually.  When the sun began showing itself at the top of the Finger, we started experiencing a different kind of rock show than we'd like to see.  On the Nisqually we had to weave around a few large and several small crevasses enroute to the summit.  The route lived up to it's great reputation for skiing.  A little sloppy from the top but as we entered the Finger it became creamy corn snow. I suppose due to it's aspect it was shadowed longer than the upper mountain.  The lower quarter of the route was beat up and bumpy from rockfall and melting and very sloppy.  The ski back across the Wilson was straightforward.  I'd have to say with the high temp's this week the route is about done for the year- at the least the bottom portion.  I'll try to insert some photos at a later date when I'm not at work  ;) . 
This was a very good trip with good company. A lot of people on the mountain over the weekend. Surprising that knowone else was skiing the route. Conditions were exceptional.

Right on. I skiied it Saturday. Saw some other skiiers and some other tracks. The whole run from top to bottom was great, though some of the terrain from about 8,000 feet down was a bit sun cupped and runnelled. Pretty bitchin for sure though.

Reply to this TR

june-25-fuhrer-finger-mt-rainier
Zee
2006-06-26 16:15:17