Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2006, Middle Sister - Hayden Glacier

June 25, 2006, Middle Sister - Hayden Glacier

6/25/06
OR elsewhere
Posted by willawaw on 6/26/06 12:44am
Decided to do Hayden glacier from the Middle/North Sister (Prouty) col after looking it over last week from S. Sister.  It appeared to be a fairly nice long decent into the trees:

Decided to do a day trip as the freezing level was well over 12,000 feet and fairly quick access.  Access was via Pole Creek Trailhead out of Sisters.  There is no snow on the trail all the way to the Chambers Creek trail, then sporadic patches as you begin to ascend up the "climbers" trail.

Despite the very warm days, I was able to boot up to the col without trouble on the fairly quick climbers trail.  Nice corn snow, no postholing, and lots of butterflies.

I saw at least 4 climbers coming down on the trail and another 8 coming down from Middle Sister before I skied.

The ski down was variable given the conditions.  Still pretty good corn albeit a little slow and grabby.  There weren't too many sun cups or runnels until the lower 1/3 of the slope.  And was able to pick my way through the trees to about 1/2 mile of the trail.

The main crevasses are just starting to show on Hayden itself but not too bad if you take precautions:

I was planning on heading up South Sister for some turns this week, but your trip report on Middle is swaying me in that direction.  I've not done it and the Hayden looks enticing.  I'd prefer to go as light as possible and wonder what I might get away with in the way of gear.  I imagine this heat wave is opening things up a bit.  I appreciate any beta.  Thanks.

I skied the South Sister the day before this report.  I camped the previous night and was surprised at how warm it stayed late into the night.  Although things firmed up overnight, it was never cold.  If the weather stays the same, you could probably dispense with some of the cold weather gear.  I didn't take crampons or an axe, but they would've come in handy in the morning hours.  Neither were essential, however.  You could probably get away with packing light and be fairly safe, weather depending.

I would say you could go very light given the conditions.  I would get a good map/compass or gps to zero in on the trail in the trees if you haven't been up there before.

The climbers trail up is pretty pedestrian up to the col. 

There are crevasse issues, but I should have left my axe and other things at home and just taken the whippet/helmet/skis.

Reply to this TR

june-25-2006-middle-sister-hayden-glacier
willawaw
2006-06-26 07:44:06