Home > Trip Reports > june 24 -- Adams update

june 24 -- Adams update

6/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by curmudgeon on 6/25/06 1:29pm
The Randle cutoff road is open.

The road  is open  to Cold Springs, but there are no parking spaces melted out. Cars park in a jumble along the last mile of road.

The feds are shaking everyone down for their $15 volcano permits, even turning folks back that do not have their permits on them. Some scofflaws were rumored to be skinning through the trees past their checkpoint. ::)

The corn in the SW chutes is exquisite, with only minor sun cupping and runneling below 9000 ft. After the warm nights we have been having, the chutes are in condition by 11:30 AM. With one short carry and some judicious crossings from patch to patch on logs and needles, I was able to ski to the road.

author=tim_place link=topic=4994.msg21032#msg21032 date=1151296181]
The feds are shaking everyone down for their $15 volcano permits, even turning folks back that do not have their permits on them.

Not on the north side.... ;D

Wolf and I had a great time on the SW Chutes. The first 2500 feet was really good corn...and I at least enjoyed the rest, despite the mush factor. Amazingly we were able to ski from the summit. How often is that possible? I think we started down around 3:30.

Somehow we missed the feds, so our purchase of the volcano pass was...er...uh...foolish. But at least we didn't have to worry about it. We took the black butte variation to the lunch counter. The feds must have been on the normal route.

Also we did an interesting finish to the SW Chutes. We parked at Morrison creek CG, so instead of traversing back from the bottom of the chutes to the south climb parking area, we continued down until we found the Morrison creek trail.

Here are some pictures from our adventure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533141@N00/sets/72157594177713588/

author=tim_place link=topic=4994.msg21032#msg21032 date=1151296181]

The feds are shaking everyone down for their $15 volcano permits, even turning folks back that do not have their permits on them. Some scofflaws were rumored to be skinning through the trees past their checkpoint. ::)

Just a thought, if they plan to turn people around they should supply enough permits at the ranger station for people to give them money, or not since this happens every year.

I suppose the rationale for collecting the "volcano fees" is to help defray the costs of patroling the slopes.  The beneficiaries of a government expense should pay the costs, right? If so, then I would suggest that the government levy a fee on flag waving in order to help defray the trillion-dollar-a-year cost of supporting the bellicose jingoism that the flag has come to represent.  >:(

Just my opinion.

(Go ahead, Mark -- hit the button!)

I'm interested in discussing the Adams + St Helens fees. But how about moving that to Random Tracks? I'll start ...

author=wolfs link=topic=4994.msg21055#msg21055 date=1151352044">
I'm interested in discussing the Adams + St Helens fees. But how about moving that to Random Tracks? I'll start ...

Outstanding idea.  Thanks.

And Tim:  thanks for the report on conditions and access.  I spent myself on Baker this weekend, wrassling deep slush, deep slush with crust, filthy suncups and, for a couple of hundred feet, supreme corn.

As of Monday morning 6/26 the drifts are puched through to a few parking spaces at the west end of Cold Springs CG.  Three foot plus drifts going east in the caampground from there and around the 2 heads.  It was real warm while we were there with the forecast to continue, and the drifts probably went down from 6" to a foot during that one day.  So I'd be real surprised if lots of parking wasn't melted out by then.

We we also asked to show our climbing permits in the parking lot (first time ever, in 15 years of climbing Adams).  That ranger said he was ferrying up supplies for 2 rangers that were camped about 6400 below the Crescent Glacier and roaming around checking climbers for permits.

The top half of the SW Chutes was dreamy corn.  Sorry, but we sloughed off the bottom half.  
Hopefully the sun should smooth it out again by next weekend.

Our group was also asked about our permits as we neared Cold Springs on our way out by a ranger who was a bit lost.  We saw a female ranger in the rocks above the lunch counter who appeared to be taking our picture as we skied by.  I guess we're a photogenic bunch.  We parked at Morrison and were fortunate getting a ride out from some climbers who had "punched through" to Cold Springs.  Unfortunately I left my poles in the back of their truck.  As for the snow, outstanding corn.  Up until this trip I'd only skied the chutes.  However, the south face was so good we did it two days in a row and saved ourselves the traverse/climb back to our camp.  The skiing off the summit was even good.  Friday was amazing and my partner and I had Piker's to ourselves.  We descended shortly after 3:00, and as far as we could tell were the last people down the mountain that day.  Saturday was the usual circus, but everyone was wearing smiles.

Gracias Senor Tim. Federales habla problema e ski hombres ? Construca barricado eh ?

I believe that my group talked to you briefly on the False Summit, Buck. The mountain really did ski fine from top to bottom.

Bob Wiebe

author=ron j link=topic=4994.msg21065#msg21065 date=1151363413]
It was real warm while we were there with the forecast to continue, and the drifts probably went down from 6" to a foot during that one day.  So I'd be real surprised if lots of parking wasn't melted out by then.

There are a few problematic downed trees across the top end portion of the CS campground road and sprinkled throughout the campground itself. They have started to cut those up and move them out of the way.  Gotta love those  BIG 4WD's for getting over the snow berms  ;).  With the great weather, and good snow it was just like a TAY Mt Adams, reunion Saturday and Sunday  ;D.   

Could anyone describe the route from Randle to the South Climb for me?

Is I-5 > SR 12 > 23? And 23 turns to dirt for part (all?) of the route?

Oh - yah one more question - how long would you estimate it takes to get from Seattle to the South Route going this route? It looks like it would be significantly faster than going south through Portland...

Thanks,
Michael

Micheal,

Look here.

I go Tacoma to 7>12>23. From Tacoma the route via 23 is about 100 miles shorter than via Portland.  It's about 140 miles one way from Tacoma to the south climb TH via 7>23.  From Randle, I think trout lake is somewhere around 60 miles away. It seems like half of it is dirt road, but maybe it is actually less. It seems like a long stretch being so dusty and bumpy. It takes me around 3-4 hours one way from Tacoma depending on various things. Just stay on 23 until you get to the road that connects trout lake and the south climb TH. Once 23 ends, turn left to to go the TH (follow signs) or turn right to go to trout lake.

Another route question - this one of the snow kind...What elevation is it best to start traversing from the SW chutes back to the climbing route? Assuming you left a tent somewhere on it...I am assuming that if you camp at lunch counter you might have to climb to get back to your tent.

What is your favorite way to do this if you are doing an overnighter?

Never mind - that was stupid - finally got home and looked at Beckeys. My memory of the route was failin' me...

It looks to me like you have to put in some serious work (and not ski down a major portion of the route) if you want to camp at 8 or 9k. The most practical thing to do is camp at Timberline and do it in a day from there.

I would still be open to hearing others experiences if you are willing to share. I am considering going with south climb scrambles who want to camp at the lunch counter.

Michael

Everyone seems to have their own "right way" to do this route.  And I just keep learning every time I go.  
Having just done the route you seem to be contemplating if I we going to do it again this weekend I'd take the SW Chutes exit notch as high as possible skier's left (no lower than 7000) and traverse high left through a couple of tree/rock bands to a shelf overlooking a big bowl west of the Crescent Gl.
There I'd don skins again and climb up and across the bowl to about 7300 to get around some lower rock bands until I had a straight shot at the west ridge above the Crescent Gl.  Cross that ridge no lower than about 7100 and drop down into the Crescent Gl/Morrison Cr drainage below the Crescent Gl at about 7000.  For a skier skiing the SW Chutes, that is as high as I would camp on the way up.  This traverse back, IMO, scores the least number of torture points.

For me the second best exit from the chutes is straight down the exit notch drainage clear down to the RTM trail at 6200.  This could get you a few more turns as there's usually a line or two still holding snow below the exit notch.  The bad news is that when you run out of snow the terrain is pretty steep and rocky getting down to the RTM.  Once at the RTM you'll have a long trail walk (probably with some snow crossings) so this "straight down" exit gets you a higher torture point score than the "high left" exit.

Of course if you're after the highest score on the TP scale, do the "low left" exit.  Just ski down until you run out of snow and then load up and start traversing left.  this will take you across some of the most rugged drainages on this side of the mountain and make you a sure winner on the torture points scale  ;D

Michael, I'll shoot you a map showing our last few year's tracks of south side tours.

Good to see you too Telemon and glad that you enjoyed the turns.  It sure is nice to get to ski from the top.

As for Michael's question about the chutes...Perhaps I'm getting lazy, but I no longer relish that traverse back to a camp above the RTM.  My cohorts and I have decided that the wisest choice for a SW chutes descent is just camping at Cold Springs and going down and back in a day.  When the snow continues below the chutes, there actually is quite a bit of roly-poly skiing that is pleasant.  Judging by last weekend, even with the heat wave, there probably is still a fair amount of snow below the chutes.  I've traversed several drainages at about 6500 feet to get back to camp and won't do it again.  If one is heading back to a high camp, following a drainage out to the RTM is not too bad.

Thank you both! This is way helpful. I am still trying to work out the logistics with my buddies. We will see if we can work it out.

Michael 'torture point' Faoro

author=ron j link=topic=4994.msg21220#msg21220 date=1151724279]
Of course if you're after the highest score on the TP scale, do the "low left" exit.  Just ski down until you run out of snow and then load up and start traversing left.  this will take you across some of the most rugged drainages on this side of the mountain and make you a sure winner on the torture points scale  ;D

Yes, wuhoo, that means that my brother Ben, Gaper Jeffey, and I together unwittingly maxed out the TP scale when we took what appears to be that exact same route two years ago!  (And to add to the TP scale, we'd had a pretty long drive the night before from Mt Hood, where the day earlier we'd done Snowdome *before* the road was open to Cloud Cap, then after the SW chutes and the long return from thereof we drove to Bachelor and skied South Sister the following day, after which I had so little time to pack and change at Gaper Jeffey's apt that as we were driving to the airport for my upcoming redeye flight I realized that I'd never rinsed the shampoo out of my hair...)

Mfaoro, the best way to the South Route from Seattle area is to get to Elbe like you would if you were going to Paradise (I-5, I-405, 167, 512, 161 through Puyallup South Hill to Eatonville then to the road to Elbe).  At Elbe, turn south on 7 to 12, east on 12 to Randle, then south on Forest Rd 23 to Trout Lake.  I just skiied the South Route this weekend (June 30-July 1) with Robie (thanks again, Robie for a great trip), and the drive to Cold Springs took 5 hours, including the side trip to get the permit.  23 is paved all the way, except for a 17-mile unpaved section that goes up and over Baby Shoe pass (love that name).  Roads are in great shape all the way.  Ski routes are in great shape all the way from the summit.  Cold Springs campsites mostly all melted out.  Enjoy.       

Reply to this TR

june-24-adams-update
curmudgeon
2006-06-25 20:29:41