Home > Trip Reports > June 24, 2006, Hyas Creek Glacier, Mt. Daniel

June 24, 2006, Hyas Creek Glacier, Mt. Daniel

6/24/06
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Stimbuck on 6/25/06 7:43am
Severtson and I departed the Cathedral Pass TH around 0430.  We hiked a mostly dry trail to the Trail Creek junction. Patchy snow became mostly solid snow cover around Squaw Lake, though we opted to continue walking knowing that the trail from Cathedral Pass to Peggy's Pond would be snow free. 

We put the boots on at Peggy's and skinned to the East Peak of Mt. Daniel.  An inversion the previous night gave us fairly warm temperatures and soft snow.  Skiing was soft with some wet loose avalanches triggered on steeper slopes.  Lots of sun cups to be found as well (Peggy's vicinity). 

Skied back to Peggy's, walked to Cathedral Pass and skied to Squaw Lake.  At this point we put the walking shoes on and headed down the trail, where we encountered quite a few folks hiking in.  Back to the TH by 2:45.  Skiing wasn't the best, but it was a good time!

Cheers,

Stimbuck

Hyas Creek Glacier:

Sun Cups:

Hey!
I was in the party of 5 that ran into you guys at the snowline. We ended up camping at a great spot on the ridge about 1/4 mile before the carry past Cathedral  Rock. Off snow, 360 degree views, running water, the works!

Skied to the summit via the notch below the spire above the Daniel Glacier the next day. Daniel and Lynch glaciers are really filled in. The Lynch was begging to be skied, but we didnt have time.  We descended via the notch south of the east summit and down along the south side of the Hyas Creek Glacier basin. Suncups werent as bad over there, and the snow actually turned OK. From our camp,  I was able to connect patches all the way to where we met you, leaving a relatively short jaunt out.

While we were on the summit, a solo peakbagger informed us of a rescue going on in the valley. A women got seperated from her boyfriend 15 minutes from the trailhead. Thinking the trail was all snow, they had ascended and descended the creek instead of the trail.  On the way out, they got seperated and she ended up wandering around for two days, finally hitting the west shore of Hyas lake where she waited for rescue. We heard the chopper flying around as we descended below Squaw Lake. They had just gotten her when we came out. 

Glad to hear you had a good one!

We debated about the Daniel Glacier for some time and decided against it due to the warm temps and uncertainty about crevasses.  Sounds like there was another group that needed a recue as well...

Stimbuck

We actually talked to the guy that got seperated from his girlfriend, and he said there were 4 rescues in the area that day. Any idea what the other circumstances were?

Hey there,  I'm the guy who was sleeping in the middle of the trail at Squaw lake on Sat morning.  Thanks for the nice wakeup call.  I went up Sat and bivyed just below the middle summit of Daniels.  Four other friends came up later in the afternoon and we had a great night on top.  The snow was a little soft, and you are right about those sun cups.  They made the ski decent a little trickier in places.  When I was ascending Daniels by myself I came to the crossing just under the East Spire, and I have crossed this before several times without an ice ax.  But this time there were no previous tracks and of course the wonderful crevasse was calling to me.  I gave it about 10 boot steps when my foot totally washed out.  At this point I chickened out and turned around and went all the way around the east summit to get to the middle.  I guess as I get older my testosterone levels are declining.  What a great mountain!

Good skiing to all
Kevin
PS I would post a couple of pics but I don't have the process down yet, maybe later.

Reply to this TR

june-24-2006-hyas-creek-glacier-mt-daniel
Stimbuck
2006-06-25 14:43:49