Home > Trip Reports > first day of summer, dusk patrol, silver peak

first day of summer, dusk patrol, silver peak

6/15/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by allyson on 6/22/06 6:20am
cass and i headed up after work to snoqualmie pass.  got lost in the hyak sprawl looking for the road to twin lakes, so didn't get hiking until 7:30pm.  parked the car at 3950', hit skinable snow at 4300'.  only one short portage.  climbed to the saddle at 5050', drank a beer and toasted the long days.  began skiing a little after 9pm, arrived back at the car by a little before 10.  fun!  ;D

coverage was still pretty good, but probably will only last another week or 2.  go get it while you can!  and if you get lost, ask a surveilance guy.  :)
Well said!  ;)
Trip photos are posted here

If you get too lost up there you could stay at the Stash Shack, there's three bunks and a bunch of stale Budwieser 8)

Nice job milking the short drive/short haul route! Somehow more sensible than Mailbox. Did you find the 2-3' wide snow ribbon along the upper logging roads there and was it useful? That was an amusing phenomenon we discovered in an almost-too-late outing a few years ago.

Guess we missed that snow ribbon, unless it melted (there were discontinous ribbons of snow along the logging roads we hiked up, but didn't reach mostly continous snow until crossing over the ridgeline near ~4,300-ft.  That line of snow looked like it continued further down the western side of the ridge some distance, but decided not to chase that ribbon down since it was nearly dark by then.
author=Jim Oker link=topic=4981.msg21012#msg21012 date=1151099125]Somehow more sensible than Mailbox.
Whad'ya mean?  ;)  I was kicking myself yesterday evening for not hauling the skis up to the top of Bandera Mtn for this fine patch  ;D:

I have to admit that I once thought about coming back with skis when hiking Mailbox in late winter, but quickly my mind shifted to "what the HELL are you thinking of?" But I love knowing that someone actually found it to be a worthy enterprise.

there's that big of a patch on bandera??  cass, why didn't you bring skis?? ;)

Reply to this TR

first-day-of-summer-dusk-patrol-silver-peak
allyson
2006-06-22 13:20:44