Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2006, South Sister

June 17, 2006, South Sister

6/17/06
OR elsewhere
Posted by willawaw on 6/21/06 1:43pm
Sorry a bit late on this report, but conditions are still good in case somebody is interested.

Fathers Day Present: I get to ski today!

Woke up at 4:00 AM, drove to Devils Lake Trailhead and parked along the road.  One car up along the curve otherwise no one around.  It had froze the night before, cold and clear.  A relief considering the past couple of weekends of 12,000 ft freeze level.  On the trail by 5:30 AM and snow is still down to the road. 

Booted up to the Moraine Lake flats for first look of the mountain:

Put skis on and skinned the flats.  Sun cups all along the flats, 8 to 12 inches in size, biggest I have seen in awhile and a bit difficult to negotiate.  Glad I wasn't walking.

Skinned up to where angle began to allow back sliding and switched over to crampons.  Crampon up to the lake/rest stop just below Lewis Glacier.  Finally begin to see some bodies on the flats below me.  Can't believe there is no traffic.

Booted up Misery Ridge to the top and trail here is in good condition.  At top by 10 AM.  Calm conditions and lots of sun.  Can see most of the volcano's south and north.  Here is Middle and North Sister.  Hayden glacier still looks good on Middle and I might do that this weekend.

Consider doing the top of Prouty glacier as it was already in good corn conditions, but trouble with my binding has me fiddling with it for about an hour.

See a couple skiers finally top out at the rim around 10:45.  Ski over to chat then drop off the SE ridge. 

Top 100 meters or so is beginning to get very rocky.  Had to take skis off to get to main top of run.  Nice corn all the way down:

Had to take my skis off twice to get back around to the flats and ski out to car which really saves the time.

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping someone would post a report.  I saw a ton of cars parked at the trailhead last saturday, but didn't hear any reports.  I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon to camp above Moraine.  Sounds like everything should be fine Saturday morning.  Thanks again.

So it's pretty manageable to summit and out in a day?  I want to get down there this summer but was thinking of 1-2 nights,and including Broken Top.

I've done both Broken Top and South Sister, but not on the same trip.  It would be possible to do both in a day each with 1-2 nights camping, but later in the summer the approach to the South Sister becomes longer (and Broken Top too!) due to the south exposure.  The hike in with boots becomes longer to find continuous snow for skinning).  This can make for a pretty long day from start and return to the trailhead ;)

Reply to this TR

june-17-2006-south-sister
willawaw
2006-06-21 20:43:32