Home > Trip Reports > June 18, Mt. Adams, SW chutes

June 18, Mt. Adams, SW chutes

6/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by mcdonagh on 6/20/06 1:49pm
Had a great trip to Adams last weekend.  With a usual smattering of suspects we camped Saturday night at Morrison Creek as the road was impassible beyond.  Started hiking at ~4:45 am Sunday morning following the road to Cold Springs and then the south climb.  Weather report notwithstanding, we had clear skies all night which made for a good freeze and near bluebird skies all day.  Gained the false summit and then the summit somewhere around 2 pm.  There was some cool westerly wind that might have led one to conclude that the chutes would not soften up... indeed the descent from the summit to the false summit was a bit vibratory.  As soon as we dropped into the SW chutes however, things corned up perfectly and due to the well endowed snow pack, remained so pretty much until the continuous snow ended at about 6100 feet.  We had a GPS target on the car, which allowed for a continuous direct descent through the woods after the skiing stopped instead of the dreaded 'round the mountain traverse back to cold springs as typically would be done.  Back at the car ~5.30 pm Overall, snow conditions were amazing, as was the weather.... made a great if not long day.
Great getting out with you Jon.  Awesome corn harvesting in the chutes... much better than that vibratory foot massage of a descent off the summit. Some photos from the chutes added below.

Great report.
Great pictures.
Thanks.

Thanks for the information, guys. It looks good for our trip this Friday, with even better weather in the forecast to forward to.

We (crew of four boarders) descended Sunday around 4 or 5 PM and had a similar experience; still frozen toward the top, but brilliant below Piker's Peak.  Heard back from climbers who had left earlier that the entire mountain was a solid sheet of ice earlier that morning.

I don't know if you could beat the weather we had!

I think we must have followed your tracks out -- one skin and a boot print on a steep drop off treeline and then heading south to the parking area on the summer trail?  If those tracks were you, thank you; we owe you big time.

I think I owe one of you $10 for convincing me to take the chutes as well.  I was sketched by the ice and wind up-top, but it was butter in the chutes after a couple turns. 

Thanks again!

Were crampons necessary above lunch counter?  We're heading down on Sat. and going to summit on Saturday.  Also how far until you can begin skinning or is it easier to just boot up.

author=fixiewrek link=topic=4972.msg20965#msg20965 date=1150937080]
Were crampons necessary above lunch counter?  We're heading down on Sat. and going to summit on Saturday.  Also how far until you can begin skinning or is it easier to just boot up.

I found crampons helpful but not necessary.  3 people in our large party of 8 were using them.  as far as skinning... it there is a good freeze the night before (as there should be) then go with booting, in my opinion.

author=fixiewrek link=topic=4972.msg20965#msg20965 date=1150937080]

I actually used crampons this past Sunday and found them very helpful. It wasn't too bad getting purchase with the boots alone but the crampons lessened all the little slips and need to catch yourself in spots which use a little energy each time that just adds up over the course of a long slog like the ascent of Adams.

Freezing levels are going way up this weekend and I think may even be above the summit of Adams so keep in mind that things might not freeze up at night at least down lower. By the time you get up to the top it might be softening up a lot.

Reply to this TR

june-18-mt-adams-sw-chutes
mcdonagh
2006-06-20 20:49:38