Home > Trip Reports > June 17-18, 2006, North Cascades, WA

June 17-18, 2006, North Cascades, WA

6/17/06
Posted by snoslut on 6/20/06 6:05am

They say time flies when you€™re having fun.  This weekend Eli and I found a method to slow down time to a crawl.  Eli and I made a pack not disclose the exact location since we have some serious unfinished business up there.

Things started off Friday evening at the Celtic Swell, enjoying a few guinys while contemplating the weekend€™s destination.  After some phone calls it was settled.  Why the night is still so young.  I soon found myself eating sushi to my stomach€™s content with Trish.  Aka: snohoar, who still needs a purchase or two to complete her bc set up but if she reads this she€™ll proly be reluctant to go.  We feasted on a variety of fish and finished with my favorite, unagimaki and misoshiro.  Unfortunately there were no wasabi snooters.  After watching Steve-O€™s reactions I€™ll stick to pixie sticks or that fine bottle of sake that I brought.

Uuuuugggg€¦why oh why does 6:30am come so damn soon?  After a nice two hour power nap, I met Eli at 7am off of 50th near the U.  And just like that we were off to the North Cascades.  As we made it to the east of the crest the weather had started to clear.  By 10am we were hiking along trail, most of which was in open forest and some in overgrown, mutated weeds.  Before long we soon arrived at our   After 2 hours of thrashing, Eli and I had managed to only gain 600ft.  Only a couple more thousand to go.  After countless hours of shwacking we finally made it to the rock scrambling part.  here's lookin up and here's lookin down.

Only a couple of 4th class moves to negotiate.  I soon found out that rock climbing in boarding boots is not a good idea.  Despite my severely battered feet, I pressed on since the terrain was too steep to bivy on.  After 9 hours of shwacking and route finding thru cliff bands and waterfalls we arrived at the ridge.  All I could do was take my boots off and put on my down booties.  But not before I buried a 40oz of OE in the snow.  My body and mind had endured a beating up until this point. 

As day dawned we rose to sun and blue skies.  Eli climbed to a point to see if he could spot a way down to the climbers trail so our ascent route could be avoided entirely.  There was a certain point in the bowl where the slope disappeared into the abyss.  Looking across the valley you could see a variety of lines in bowls and chutes but they all cliffed out before hitting the valley bottom.  At this point we both realized that we should have brought some rope.  Even though the valley across from us was a different aspect, neither of us was willing to ride down just to have to climb back out.  So instead of taking our chances we retraced our ascent.

Words can€™t describe the torture endured down the

Additional Notes:
Lost Gear - My shovel handle and Eli€™s sunglasses

Almost Lost - Eli€™s water bottle that I picked up a few times after he insist that I just leave it.  My binding that got ripped off my board while trying to fall down hill cause it was a lot easier than climbing down.  Climbing back up and finding it was easy.  The hard part was putting the pack back on with branches going every which way.

Note to self €“ next time we cannot go without Edward Scissor Hands.
You guys are crazy  ;) 

JOM = 0%???  Kam would be jealous!

dude, epic! Looks like some great schwackin'!  Say, the peak behind you in the last photo kinda looks like !$#!%!#% from near #!$#@$ ;)  Definitely a very cool area in spite of the brush.

I think I've skied that small swath of open in forest, halfway down the back of his neck....

author=philfort link=topic=4969.msg20933#msg20933 date=1150838819]
JOM = 0%???  Kam would be jealous!

lucky!!!

all i can say is ugh.

Reply to this TR

june-17-18-2006-north-cascades-wa
snoslut
2006-06-20 13:05:02