Home > Trip Reports > June 16-17, 2006, Mt. Adams South Rte.

June 16-17, 2006, Mt. Adams South Rte.

6/16/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Randonnee on 6/18/06 11:35am
On Saturday June 17 about 4000' vertical of the Mt. Adams South Rte. was exquisite dreamy corn in brilliant sunshine. I went from the Horse Camp below Morrison Cr. CG @ 4700' (note- snow blocks the road just below the CG) approaching up near Morrison Cr. to the ridge west of Crescent Gl, to Piker's Peak, my intended destination. The top 400' vert. below Piker's had a breakable cauliflower with clear ice glaze surface overlying corn, but I went up anyway hoping for solar softening that did not occur. I skied from below Piker's for safety and general comfort over hassle attitude. It was scratchy but easy to turn for a while, then from the lower 1/3 of the big face to the base of the ridge at 6500' was exquisite corn skiing. Then it was cupped soft corn. The day before I found continuous skiing down to 5100' elev., but lost the route this day and did more walking. I saw only three snowboarders, no other skiers. I enjoyed meeting and talking to the boarders. My wife and daughter hiked out to Crofton Butte, viewed the mountain and spotted the (only) solo climber, probably me.

On Friday June 16 I started the same route and encountered rain at just below 7000'. When I was on the ridge a little higher it was raining horizontally and soaking my legs beneath my knee-length rubber rain coat (I do not carry Gore Tex pants in spring, but packed my raincoat because ot the forecast and weather). As I wished to avoid the sensation of water pouring into my boots I turned 'em down and enjoyed fine wet corn turns. Happily, I went back to the family camp with wife and daughter, campfire, heated 10' x 10' tent, cold St. Pauli Girl, grilled meat,  dogs, relaxation.

On Thursday June 15 we were at Timberline at Mt. Hood, as is my usual warmup to Mt. Adams. It was rainy until above 7000' elev. up on the Palmer, and sunny with a cold wind above to the summit. I made some lift laps with my new rig, K2 Chogori, Dynafit bindings and TLT 4. Excellent rig, my quiver is quite full. The cold wind and fear of the sea of clouds below rising discouraged touring higher as is my habit after some lift laps. It was a fun 1/2 day of skiing the Palmer in a knee-length rubber rain coat. The family enjoyed hanging out at the Timberline Lodge and playing board games.

It was disconcerting to see snowmobile tracks to above 10000 ft. elev. on the Mt. Adams South Rte. I encountered a couple of young locals heading up from the Horse Camp on snowmobiles who stated that they were going to the east, legal snomo country (believable). I walked around their rig and recorded their truck, trailer, and snowmobile numbers anyway in case anyone witnesses snowmobile trespass in the area. One of them started swearing at me but I just calmly held my ground and told them of my concern about snowmobile trespass, that I snowmobiled, ride a dirt motorcycle, and have supported the Blue Ribbon Coalition, so he quit swearing and calmed down before I lifted my camera to photograph them. Then they told me that they and their father help with enforcement and signing in the area and that "out-of-towners" trespass. They said that "they were close to losing the mountain" a few years ago because of snowmobile trespass and that they and their father try to help with the signage and enforcement to maintain the snowmobile access to the area that is allowed. I hope that their story is correct.
Thanks for the report. If we can believe the weather forecasts, it is going to be much nicer this coming weekend. I am sorry that our weekends did not match up, but I am sure that there will be more opportunities in the future.

Do you think that there is any chance of 3 or 4 days of warm weather melting out the last bit of road to the Morrision Creek Campground?

Bob

Hey Bob,

The last few drifts to Morrison CG may be gone. I cannot speak to the 3 miles of road up to Cold Springs/ South Rte TH since I did not go that way.

Have fun!

The road is completely clear to Morrison Creek. A few snow berms a short bit after there but if you had a good clearance 4WD vehicle you could probably get by them and get much further up the road (probably another mile or so) as there is little snow on the road itself within a mile of Cold Creek CG.

Reply to this TR

june-16-17-2006-mt-adams-south-rte
Randonnee
2006-06-18 18:35:36