Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2006, Klahanie Ridge, Olympic N.P.

June 17, 2006, Klahanie Ridge, Olympic N.P.

6/17/06
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 6/17/06 1:12pm
With a cloudy, mild forecast, "overthehill" Michael Ellis & I hiked 1400' up the Switchback Trail off of Hurricane Ridge Road.  A bit of drizzle on the way up, and a NPS guy doing some good trail maintenance.  It was well socked in but the snow in the bowls and chutes above Lake Angeles was plentiful.  A  goat came to <10' away for a visit, or perhaps a salty-liquid snack.
     A few steps below the trail at 5870' I could get my heel throws locked, then we had a 900' run on close-to-corn snow in fog and a bit of rain.  Stability was great; no sluffing and good carves , about 30-35 deg. in 3 drops to 4980' where the snow thinned and became littered with tree debris.  We booted back up the slope with some cloudy bright, then were greeted at the ridge with increasing rain and some graupel.
     Michael hit the same nice start, while I went east about 100 yards to drop in on a better line of about 40  deg.  The rain actually made the second run better-faster and more firm.  It was raining hard as we booted back up, the worst I've seen in the BC but it only a few days 'til the solstice.  then it was back down the switchbacks & home to Kitsap County.  Good 1/2-day trip.   Happy Father's Day Eve!
Very cool Mack.

My Dad and I just got back from a circuit of looking for championship sized old-growth trees on the Olympic Peninsula.  A fun trip for those seeking a wee bit of exercise sprinkled in between the logger sized meals that are served out there.  Talk about packing in the calories!!

I insisted on a detour to Hurricane Ridge since I'm curious about the area's backcountry, having read trip reports from both you and Chris.  It is very, very nice over there and I'm hoping to get out there on skis soon.

A NPS ranger said that there is a hut on H. Ridge that is available for reservations.  Do you have any experience with this?

There is an emergency hut @ Waterhole Camp out Obstruction Point Road; check the Seabury Blair guidebook.
There is still a good bit of snow on N faces of the Olys; wanna go somewhere either there or the Cascades this summer?  I'm nor free until July sometime.

I have used that hut on several father and son trips in the 90's; it is great place for a couple people to stay on a cold night. By the way, Mack, I should be able to answer your Mt.Adams questions; I intend to be there ,and possibly Hood, later this week.

Hey Mac,
That was so miserable it was fun.  8)

Reply to this TR

june-17-2006-klahanie-ridge-olympic-n-p
telemack
2006-06-17 20:12:12