Home > Forum > Corn in Bend Area?

Corn in Bend Area?

• Patty
  • [Patty]
More
29 Jan 2003 08:04 #168161 by Patty
Corn in Bend Area? was created by Patty
Well it looks like we wont be having a corn season in the Wasatch this year. Didnt really have a pow season either. <br><br>So, thinking of heading NW. Is there any good corn runs in the Bend area that do not involve crevasses (we dont know what those are in UT)? <br><br>If there isnt anything good in the Bend area - other suggestions in the area?<br><br>Yeah, I know I am an out of towner asking about yer stashes. But, I figure - you cant ski out a corn run. Thx for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
29 Jan 2003 10:03 #168162 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Robie posted a little info on this topic here . Tumalo Mountain seems to be the choice for easy access to backcountry turns in a normal winter, and as Robie says, it is fun and beautiful terrain. There is a lot of touring terrain from there toward Broken Top and South Sister, but it would be mostly XC, not turns. I've been to the Middle Sister area from the east side, but in July and I don't know about winter access. I seem to remember that there may be winter access to the north side of the (something) Rim which extends east from Broken Top. Perhaps the low snowpack is allowing people more access than usual for winter? When we were planning our Middle Sister trip we got some good info over the phone from a ski shop in the the town of Sisters (sorry, I don't remember its name).

• Patty
  • [Patty]
More
30 Jan 2003 03:12 #168163 by Patty
Replied by Patty on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Thx Charles. Actually hoping to go in May if the corn holds out that long around there. Really enjoy skiing Sierra corn with straight from the car routes, lots of vert and good conditions in May. Was hoping similar condition exist in the Bend area but am unable to find info. Thanks!

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
30 Jan 2003 04:50 #168164 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Patty, I posted on another board a little known, but classic route up to N. Sister, pioneered by Aaron Novick, the late founder of the UofO Institute of Molecular Biology. Aaron showed me this route when he was in his 70's!, and a number of others closer to Eugene. If you have a chance to try it, it will truly exercise your route finding skills. Its a perfect May trip:<br><br>Check out the entry by Skijorer in this thread:<br><br>www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2033&forum=1

More
30 Jan 2003 15:36 #168165 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Patty ,You might drive a little farther north and take in MT ST Helen's (May is right time ) And lots of good stuff on our big daddy mothership Mt Rainier. I'm scheduled for UTAH mid Feb .Staying at my sisters up on Wasatch BLvd. Skiing with old family friends most likly Alta.

• Patty
  • [Patty]
More
31 Jan 2003 00:57 #168166 by Patty
Replied by Patty on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Thx for the info. <br><br>Things are grim out here Robie. Alta has yet to break a 60" base. I have used my pass for about 3 hrs for the whole year. Still banging off the rocks and trees in the bckcntry, also. Many slides but no fatalities yet this year as the snow has 3' of TG at the bottom and multiple crusts in between. We are still waiting for the The Big Dump.

• Darin_Offpister
  • [Darin_Offpister]
More
31 Jan 2003 03:42 - 31 Jan 2003 03:56 #168167 by Darin_Offpister
Replied by Darin_Offpister on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Patty,<br><br>   Sorry to hear those snow rationings down your way.(By the way, I read two skiers -a wife and her husband -did pass away in an avi related accident outside the Canyons area boundary this year) I'm actually rather suprised to hear your snow is abscent this year. I know from friends and weather reports coming out of Tahoe (W of you guys) that the snow depths are above normal -atleast for now. And even east and south of you (CO and New Mexico are descent) Up our way, we are finally seeing some measurable accumulation. Though today we are having a warm "Pineapple Express" weather event in our mtns. Anyway, I thought I'd pass along to you a report I found brief but interesting none the less. Here is one to check out:<br>www.proguiding.com/mg/dbdarticles/Pg-Art...10&pagestatus=readdb
I hope you can read this and access it. Another worth looking in is:
www.offpistemag.com/themag/features/index.html

Good luck. You'll find outstanding corn conditions setting up in that Sisters area if you hit the spring just right. Just about every year you'll see a good span of time allow for excellent corn skiing. In fact, most years you will see it last well into July (w/freezing night time temps) around the Three Sisters. Also, Mt. Jefferson to the north is a little more remote(access) early on, but allows for some much longer and wild descents. And don't forget about Mt. Hood in that area as well. Those "Ice Cream Cone" volcano's can provide a miraid of aspects and angles allowing you to fallow ths sun accordingly during the spring skiing ritual!
Best Regards, Darin Brenner :)
Please visit: www.camp-usa.com & www.camp.it

More
02 Feb 2003 05:44 #168168 by kc
Replied by kc on topic Re: Corn in Bend Area?
Be forewarned Oregon is suffering from low snow cover like everyone else. Skied last week at Mt. Bachelor and on the lower slopes of the ski area, ie outback and northern exposure there was not enough snow to get off the main runs and into the trees. Hoo doo, a smaller ski area was forced to close down due to lack of snow. Some locals were switching to cross-country skiing instead of back country due to the poor conditions. It will be a very early melt-out this year