telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/23/19, 11:01 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Jun 10-11,06 Mt Ruth-Dog Leg chutes(MRNP)/Westport
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jun 10-11,06 Mt Ruth-Dog Leg chutes(MRNP)/Westport  (Read 2935 times)
snoslut

Jun 10-11,06 Mt Ruth-Dog Leg chutes(MRNP)/Westport
« on: 06/13/06, 10:48 AM »

Washington is truely a unique state along with a few others.  One could easily begin the day in the mountains, sliding on snow and end the day at the ocean sliding on water.  It's been a while so why not give it a go.

The forecast on Friday looked grim for both the mountains and ocean.  I decided to start at the mountains cause what are the chances of getting hit with weather 2 weekends in a row.  Actually pretty damn good up here in the PNW.  Despite the sketchy forecast, Lupo and I made the drive to the White River entrance on Mt Rainier's northeast side.  We drove through rain only to pull up to the WR campgrounds, which was sunny.  How long would this window last?

Just like last weekend, the first 2 miles were easier to boot with snow patches, streams, down trees to negotiate.  Eventually skinning was the mode of transpo for the last bit to Glacier Basin with Mt Ruth and the Dog Leg chutes in the distant.

Last weekend it started to rain before we could ascend/descend this 2600ft line.  This pic is where we traded our splits for the crampons and ice axe.

Approaching the crux...

Due to the constant threat of rock fall and variable surface snow conditions, I didn't pull the camera out until we had completed the iffy part.

Snow conditions encountered thus far was anywhere from couple inches of corn on smooth, firm base to boot/knee deep mush to areas covered with surface crust.

By the time we neared the 8600ft summit of Ruth the weather had surrounded us and it was just a matter of moments before it got bad.  Here's a pic of Lupo converting his first generation Burton split.  Think he needs an upgrade?

Just after this pic was taken it started spitting snow and visibility was around 30 or so feet.  Glad we booted/skinned up a pretty straight fall line.  We were able to follow it all the way down without sacrificing too many turns for traversing.  Eventually the snow gave way to pouring rain about half way down the chute and that's about when the first couple inches of snow started sluffing from beneath our boards.  The hissing sounds so cool but at the same time haunting as it moved over rocks.  Especially when you couldn't see anything but just hear.

On the hike out the rain gave way to sun again.  I told Lupo all we needed was 5 more minutes and we could have had good visibility down.  Back at the car we enjoyed some frosty bevs and took our time moving since that was are first real break of the day.  Overall the riding was good.  The snow was soft and carved effortlessly on steeper pitches.  Down lower, staying on the boot/skin track really helped.  Even practiced my patch riding technique.  Yeah the snow was grabby.

After a stop at home to dump gear and pick up more, I soon found myself rolling down I-5.

Pulled up to Westport to get a glimpse of the waves.  There was nothing but ripples.  Like Occy once exclaimed "I've seen bigger waves in a toilet".

By the time I showed up to camp the lady's had already started preparing our feast.  After all the fajitas, hornitos, beer, etc. (repeat in random order throughout the evening) I came down with a wicked food coma.  Man things are getting kinda fuzzy....

Smoke attacks some....

A bit later....

And what's a camp without a campfire?

Magma

The next day a breezy onshore wind crippled the waves so I just passed out on the beach.  Maybe I'll have better luck next weekend at La Push.
« Last Edit: 06/14/06, 06:47 AM by snoslut » Logged

You will know when Americas in trouble when the Mexicans stop coming...Carlos Mencia
Salal

Re: Jun 10-11,06 Mt Ruth-Dog Leg chutes(MRNP)/Westport
« Reply #1 on: 06/13/06, 11:38 AM »

Sky to sea!!! Sorry the waves didn't work out for you. I was down at oswald and the same toilet bowl existed down there. Angry
Pete A

« Reply #2 on: 06/13/06, 01:39 PM »

nice!

I've had a couple ski and sea weekends this spring too, though I haven't managed to used the longboard and the skis in the same day...I gotta try that Smiley

Westport was about as small as I'd ever seen it on friday night and saturday morning.  I figured when it feels easy for me to paddle outside at the jetty, then its gotta be small.  At least on Friday evening there were only a few other surfers in the water (and a couple fat sealions)  so there wasn't much competition for what few peaks existed.

...by the way, nice 'North Shore' reference  Wink
« Last Edit: 06/13/06, 09:31 PM by Pete A » Logged
Meadow_Skipper
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 06/13/06, 07:58 PM »

Nothing but ripples? The outside waves look like 6' faces. Vat is dis you say?
snoslut

« Reply #4 on: 06/14/06, 06:38 AM »

Nothing but ripples? The outside waves look like 6' faces. Vat is dis you say?

Waves could have been nice if it would at least made enough splash to get the jetty wet. Grin  The outside waves just crumbled in the wind with little or no shape.  Sometimes reforming but most times just the white washing machine.  Strong surface current with the wind as well.  6' faces translated into 1-2ft surf today with onshore wind.  However with an offshore it would have been a fun session.  The ripples in the sand held better shape. Grin  Oh well maybe next time.
« Last Edit: 06/14/06, 06:48 AM by snoslut » Logged

You will know when Americas in trouble when the Mexicans stop coming...Carlos Mencia
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.