Home > Trip Reports > South Ingalls Peak, June 11

South Ingalls Peak, June 11

6/15/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by glenn_b on 6/13/06 2:35am
On a beautiful Sunday morning, walked and skied the old trail to Ingalls Pass and into the Headlight Basin.  Still plenty of snow across the pass but thinning out on the Teanaway side of the divide.  The Stuart season looks over as most of the lower south side gullies are melted out.

We skied and booted up South Ingalls from Headlight Basin.  Here there was still good coverage but lots of rocks are coming out.  A threesome of boarders had climbed to the ridgeline closer to Fortune Peak and then hiked to the peak.  The woman, named Jennifer I think, did this scramble barefoot!

During a pleasant break we had nice views over to the peaks of the Cascade crest, some clouds, some rain/hail and finally incoming thunderheads.  We skied down towards North Ingalls to the Dog Tooth col and down to Ingalls Lake.  Fatigue and a desire to minimize hiking led us to blow off climbing over to Fortune Peak.  As it was we could ski down about 1000' from Ingalls Pass, pick up the old trail again and make it to the car just as the heavens opened up with the deluge of the day.  A day well spent.

Hey Glenn, were you able to drive right to the trailhead, i.e. is the road snow-free?

This is Jeannie, the barefooted woman.  :) 

The road is snow free and in pretty darn good shape, considering the season.  Glad to hear you all made it down safe!

So Jeannie, we're still having a hard time getting our arms around the barefoot thing.  Was it a scourging of the flesh?  A Jedi mind trick?  Bad-fitting boots?  You'd settle some bets if you would clarify.  Thanks.

Hmmm... I'd say whoever guessed "bad fitting boots" wins the bet.  I didn't want to scramble up the rock wearing my huge bulky snowboard boots.  Bare feet have more potential for sneaking into smaller footholds.

Reply to this TR

south-ingalls-peak-june-11
glenn_b
2006-06-13 09:35:25