telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/17/19, 08:29 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 10, 2006, Steamboat Prow, MRNP
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 10, 2006, Steamboat Prow, MRNP  (Read 1943 times)
Splitter

June 10, 2006, Steamboat Prow, MRNP
« on: 06/12/06, 08:45 AM »

Trying to pick the best weather day this weekend was a bit tough.  We decided on Saturday and it worked out OK, despite variable conditions.

We left the White River Campground just before 9:00.  The sun was out and the views were great, with some cloud cover.  As we headed up the Interglacier, ypu could see the weather building.  Between 7 and 8k feet, it really closed in.  It started to graupel and then turned to wet snow.  For a couple hundred feet around 9k feet, my board strapped to my pack was buzzing.  The last time I heard that sound was in an electrical storm on a high ridge.  It was making me nervous but I figured we were well below several high points around us and it soon stopped.  When we reached the ridge a little ways short of the top of the prow, the wind was blasting over from the Emmons side and it was snowing pretty hard.  As we reached the top, it started to lighten up and then the sun came out.

After having a short lunch break in the sun and enjoying the views, we headed down.  The snow was great for skiers and just about perfect for a boarder.  The squall had dropped about an inch of new snow on top of a smooth soft base.  It didn't start to get really grabby until the bottom of the Interglacier.  Normally my snowboard seems to suffer from sticky snow more than my skiing companions.  This time I seemed to be less affected than they were.  I was on a new board and for the first wax, I had mixed in a liberal amount of graphite.  I am assuming it had more to do with the wax than the board, but it was very enjoyable to just have fun riding instead of constantly trying to keep from pitching forward.

With a few carries we were able to ski within a couple of miles of the trailhead.  Just about the perfect trip.

I have always wondered why skiers ski instead of board.  As you can see from the last photo here, it must be related to their intelligence level and the inability to identify transitions. Grin

* top-of-the-prow.jpg (93.1 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 465 times.)

* weather-opens-up.jpg (98.72 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 471 times.)

* is-it-June-already.jpg (93.97 KB, 850x638 - viewed 462 times.)
« Last Edit: 06/12/06, 08:50 AM by Splitter » Logged
prestonf

Re: June 10, 2006, Steamboat Prow, MRNP
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/06, 03:55 PM »

My pack and board were buzzing also, which was a little disconcerting.  I think my wife might have thought I was a little crazy when I told her that there was a loud buzzing in my head.  The snow was incredible!

Descending from the top.

Lower down.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.