Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2006, Muir Snowfield

June 7, 2006, Muir Snowfield

6/7/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by joeb on 6/7/06 2:17pm
Had a great day touring on my new setup up to Camp Muir.  Left the visitor center at 9am with warm temperatures and thinking about the fact that on this day last year, the total snow pack at Paradise was exactly 0", this year a more normal 121".  So needless to say I was able to start skinning pretty much right out of the parking lot.  Lots of low clouds, drizzle and poor visibility initially and I was hoping I would pop out of the clouds somewher above me.  I wasn't disappointed and just below Panorama Point the vistas opened up.  It was one of those days where you get to look out over a sea of clouds with just the major surrounding peaks poking through like icebergs.  The snow down low was quite soft but adequate for skinning, up high towards Muir was much better.  Reached Muir at about 2pm in windy, cool conditions with the clouds moving up the mountain and the summit also obscured with clouds unfortunately.  Only a handful of climbing parties around Muir and I'm told that not many were summiting due to too much new snow and unstable conditions up high.  I heard numerous icefall avy's from the upper Nisqually as well as constant rock fall lower down to attest to this.  The ski down was outstanding for the first 2000', and pretty marginal but skiable mashed potatoes the rest of the way in low visibility fog and clouds.  I added about an hour to my trip on the way down by following what I am guessing was one of the Nisqually chutes down too far that necessitated a rather annoying traverse, but in retrospect the turns were worth it.  I rewarded myself with a 1/2 hour nap on some warm rocks overlooking the moraine.  All in all a great day and I am looking forward to more trips during this promising summer season.

JoeB
Nice TR,

Bad news for me though I was hoping to skin up to Muir and boot up to the summit this Fri/Sat but they'll probably be getting new snow and at least cloudcover so things probably won't settle out on the upper mountain by then. 

Anyway, great to have the current beta, thank you.  I guess I'll have to make other plans. 

-Scotty

Reply to this TR

june-7-2006-muir-snowfield
joeb
2006-06-07 21:17:09