telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/23/19, 09:25 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 6, 2006, Alpental Dusk Patrol
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 6, 2006, Alpental Dusk Patrol  (Read 3881 times)
sheispiste

June 6, 2006, Alpental Dusk Patrol
« on: 06/07/06, 07:57 PM »

A triple perfect number. A perfect evening.

After seeing Dave's post from their Saturday blitzkrieg I invited Dave and his son Brett to join us on a planned dusk patrol. Dave phoned Monday night to encourage me to push the start time to earlier, I thought perhaps to accommodate the middle school(er) schedule. Being Brett's Science teacher, I easily obliged.

In class, I asked Brett if I was going to have to chase him up the mountain. Later as I climbed in his family VW van, I turned to him in the w a y back and promised that I wasn't going to make this outing a lesson: although he should probably pay attention to Newton's three laws of motion as it related to skiing. (I do have a bias about the development of science education and a connection to the outdoors Smiley

In the blazing sun at about 4:45 pm, we were stunned by the backlight leaves of the scrub and brush dominating the lower slopes of Alpental. Brett schooled me and selected a fine line over creek crossings and up the limited remnant snow patches. At the flats, the R's busted out their snack bag before beginning our skin up Deb's Gold to the base of chair 2. Snow, continuous from here on, was soft and sometimes slippery. New construction is underway on the access ramp of Chair 2. I skinned above into the little bowl and took about a dozen turns while Dave and Brett dined on dinner. The view of Red Mountain was lovely.

We skied the main line on Deb's Gold and found the snow sticky and s l o w. Pine pollen got gloppy on the bases of our babies. We hauled ourselves out on a block of concrete, like seals seeking some sun and dry land, to dry off the skis and reattach our soaked skins. Just then, Cass, Kelvin, and Mark arrived, from their ascent up Sessel, as we had planned.

Introductions made, we skinned again the same route. Brett got frustrated with his floppy wet skins and called it a wonderful night about half way up. Nice job Brett! We bid Dave and Brett farewell and continued higher. The guys headed to Denny. I gained the ridge to the cat-track and enjoyed the simple solitude and silence of snow.

We all skied out the couloir skier's left (Eisenfallen). Lovely turns and little gladed "gate" opportunity. Crossing the snowbridge on the major creek crossing, Kelvin discovered the melt-out find of the season. He emerged from behind the huge rock with a snowboard strapped to his pack and a huge grin stuck on his face. This made for a good beacon to follow through the brush in the fading light. True to dusk patrol style, we hit the bridge in the darkest of dusk and the glow of the little lights, which paled in comparison to the moon.

More photos to follow (from me and others?  Wink )
« Last Edit: 06/07/06, 09:51 PM by sheispiste » Logged

any day in the mountains is a good day in the mountains
mjt
5Member

Re: June 6, 2006, Alpental Dusk Patrol
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/06, 12:44 PM »

Brett and Dave: it was great meeting you guys!

Jessica, Chis, & Kelvin: it was great skiing with you again -- it's been too long.

We had a great time up at Alpental on 6/6/06.  I did my best to ski evil, but I'm not sure how well I did - until that last patch, at which point my skis were so sticky on the bottom that I could only hop miserably down the last few vertical.  Although it looked sketchy from below we actually skied most of the way down, despite having to stop briefly to jump between patches here & there.  The upper mountain wasn't bad at all

A few more pictures:
Cass
Jessica
Kelvin
cascadesfreak

« Reply #2 on: 06/08/06, 05:42 PM »

Nice to meet you Brett & Dave; glad you were able to make it on a 'dusk patrol' outing on a school night  Smiley
Mark: your patch-skiin' skillz have become excellent!  Grin

Additional trip photos are posted here

gregL

« Reply #3 on: 06/09/06, 09:18 AM »

Jessica, you brought WANDS?
sheispiste

« Reply #4 on: 06/09/06, 10:11 AM »

Jessica, you brought WANDS?
Okay, Okay. They were sort of a joke, and to let Cass know where to find us if we did indeed go some strange route. Cell phone coverage is spotty up there, ya know, and you can't leave bread crumbs in the snow. Brett called them orange two leaved clovers when Dave plucked one from the snow.

any day in the mountains is a good day in the mountains
mjt
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 06/09/06, 01:56 PM »

I always just yelled, "Grande cocoa!!!", but that's just me.
Peter
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 06/09/06, 03:17 PM »

Dude that's my board  Wink
Dave_R

« Reply #7 on: 06/12/06, 07:25 AM »

Late reply,  busy week.

Hey Jessica, Chris, Marc, & Kelvin, it was great to meet you all.

New skins for xmas: $60
Gas for the bus: $18
Two bottles of chocolate moo: $3.50
Earning turns with your 6th grade science teacher: priceless  Cool

-Dave R

* kid_n_teach.JPG (89.75 KB, 800x600 - viewed 508 times.)
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.