Home > Trip Reports > June 6, 2006, Mt. Pilchuck

June 6, 2006, Mt. Pilchuck

6/6/06
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by jd on 6/7/06 6:03am
The last two weeks of rainy warm weather has decimated the lower slopes of Pilchuck. We skied to and from the car 2 weeks ago, but had to walk half way down the trail last night.

Leaving the car after 5 p.m. Alex and I took the direct route up, but it was melted out in many spots, meaning a bit of brush beating while carrying skis. It wasn't worth skining when we hit the continous snow so we just booted to the top and enjoyed the view through the clouds. We were running late (which had the benifit of a gorgeous sunset) so we skied back down the climbing route on good corn until it ran out.

Larrison ridge still looks good, but lots of rocks are melting out so watch out when ripping those roll overs.

JD,

Your pictures consistantly rule. Can I use this as a screen saver? Let me know.

Medow,

Of course you can use it as a screen saver - anything I post is free for noncommercial use. This shot by the way is a panorama made from two 8 megapixel shots so the original is very high res. Too bad Charles limits the file size and jpg compression of pictures - my one complaint about this site. I'm working on some web pages about this spring on Pilchuck where I'll put some higher res. versions.

Every time I climb this wonderful little mountain I thank my lucky stars to live and work near it. Here is another shot from this beautiful evening.

Wow, this one is also awesome. Thanks.

If you are heading up to Pilchuck again, let me know.  I'm in Monroe, so it'd be easy for me to meet up with you.

Reply to this TR

june-6-2006-mt-pilchuck
jd
2006-06-07 13:03:15