Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2006, Hurricane Hill

June 3, 2006, Hurricane Hill

6/3/06
WA Olympics
Posted by infamous on 6/7/06 12:42am
Late start, missed ferries, got to trail head at bottom of Whiskey (something) Road after Elwah park entrance around noon.  Climbed and climbed with snow boarding buddy Ben up the very well kempt Hurricane Hill trail.  Passing hikers repeatedly told us: "No snow!  No snow!"  But we pressed on, battling the gauntlet of jeers and laughter until we couldn't take it any more.  Left skis and pack at about 4200 feet wondering what the hell we were thinking and proceded to the knoll overlooking the Elwah valley.  Indeed, no snow on the wide south facing aspect (surprise, surprise) but little bits here and there on top.  Just enough to call it a month.  DAMN!  Hiked down to skis and returned for several short runs before calling it a day.  Pretty good excercise. 

Several non-south facing aspects closer to the Hurricane Ridge parking area looked very skiable, as well as north facing slopes on the other side of the Elwah, although things seemed to be melting fast.  Definitely would have spared the quaracepts some by burning gasoline, but I prefer rienforcing my masochist nature and saving a dime. 

Moral of the story:  1) never listen to hikers who have no idea where to look for snow  2) never leave pack and skis until you've seen for yourself that the slopes are barren.  Mediocre turns, but important lessons.
Good Report-too bad about the lack of snow.

Over the top of Klahanne ridge the slope that faces North usually has snow on it this late in the year with about 900 vert. The Klahanne climb is rigorous trail 38 degree pitch 2200 vert in the sun.
I hope it was a good day none the less.
Joe

Reply to this TR

june-3-2006-hurricane-hill
infamous
2006-06-07 07:42:25