Home > Trip Reports > January 18, 2003, Chair Peak Circumnavigation

January 18, 2003, Chair Peak Circumnavigation

1/18/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ski_photomatt on 1/20/03 9:55pm
I had a hard time rounding up a partner for this trip, but couldn't pass up the stable snow and excellent weather so decided to go it alone.  Strong easterly winds blew my poor Ford around driving past North Bend and had set up a strong and deep cloud layer at the pass.  Climbing to Pineapple Basin I began to wonder if I would break out of the clouds at all.  I picked up a skin track, unsure of exactly where it was headed, but followed it upwards hoping to reach clear skies to be able to navigate.  The sweat on my hair and arms froze solid in the fog, but a few hundred feet of elevation sent me through the inversion and into the very warm sun.  The track I had been following led up through the basin and to my surprise traversed around Bryant Peak towards the Bryant Peak Col (and indeed, continued all the way around Chair).  I paused for a moment to put on my helmet, protection from the rocks and ice falling off Bryant, and moved as fast as I could past the objective danger and to the col.

From here the route drops down to Melakwa Lakes, climbs to Melakwa Pass, drops past Chair Peak Lake to Snow Lake where it climbs to the Snow Lake divide before descending back to Alpental.  The Melakwa valley does not have a direct outlet to Snoqualmie Pass and was sunny.  The clouds were pouring over Hemlock Pass from Denny Creek, quite a sight really, a giant waterfall of condensed water.  Unfortunately, I was moving a little too fast this morning and the sun hadn't had a chance to warm the west facing slope for my descent to the lakes.  I re-skinned and made the short climb to the pass on now rapidly warming snow.  From Melakwa Pass, Mt. Roosevelt was a shinning beacon.  I seriously considered climbing it but passed - it's steep east facing gully would have been shaded before my descent making for a somewhat dicey ski down.  Surprisingly, the shaded north facing slope below the pass had a slight crust buried below a couple inches of powder, just enough to effect skiing enjoyment.  The western end of Snow Lake was in full sun while the east end was foggy and cold, the victim of Snoqualmie Pass' overflow.  The slopes above Source Lake were in the fog and never warmed, the skiing was rather unenjoyable breakable crust.
This is such a great tour but I have never seen anyone on my trips there. The tour is also known as The Folklife Tour because you can normally ski it in May.  Although I have only done it in May, it can have considerable exposure  especially while traversing Melakwa valley and descending to Source Lake.Thanks for the update.

Zap  

I was quite surprised to see tracks on the tour, especially since they were put in mid-week.  Traversing Melakwa valley was a concern, but I made sure I left early and moved quickly (was at Melakwa Pass shortly after 11am before things got too warm).  This is a great tour with good skiing accessible from it, scenic and secluded.

Matt

Just curious,
Was Snow Lake frozen enough to ski on yet?

I skied across it.  Pole probes showed a few inches of snow on top of a few inches of slush, below that I was afraid to look.  Walking across may not be recommended, but skiing was OK.

Matt,

If you short a skiing partner for tours such as this just let me know. I'm free seven days a week 24 hours a day and ready to tour on a moments notice. I'll be doing plenty solo trips this year if the weather and snowpack cooperate.
Darin

Reply to this TR

january-18-2003-chair-peak-circumnavigation
ski_photomatt
2003-01-21 05:55:26