Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2006, Sherpa Glacier Stuart

June 3, 2006, Sherpa Glacier Stuart

6/3/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by IandI on 6/5/06 1:38am
Kat and I skiied the Sherpa on Stuart Saturday, via Mtneers Crk. Trail was more or less dry to where the approach leaves the Stuart Lake trail. Then fugly postholing up the Mtneers Crk drainage occasionally falling into melted out holes up to the waist. Then dry again going up the hill to the drainage below the north side moraine. Coverage on the glacier was good and didn't hear any serac or slide activity on the Sherpa or Ice Cliff. Seems like the warm spell a few weeks ago unleashed a lot of junk. Snow was suprisingly unconsolidated large crystal corn, most likely from the recent precip. SKiing the upper coliour unleashed some fun wet slides that funnelled into the middle of the chute and over the 'schrund. Really fun ski, good turns, a little grabby in places. I'll try and post some pics soon.

That's a really fun ski descent.  Way to get after it.  Now go get the Ice Cliff!

The mountains looked good over there on Saturday...and it sounds like they were as good as they looked. I wish that I could've been up there. Instead I was taking it easy on the Wenatchee. Ha, Ha. So much for that. It was seriously moving! Our raft was eaten alive in the first rapid beneath the leavenworth bridge and we swam a fair stretch before getting raked along shore. That was exciting.

I look forward to your pics. I loved that run when I skied down it a few years ago.

Pics Added. Sorry no pics from upper coliour except from very top.

Looks beautiful!

Reply to this TR

june-3-2006-sherpa-glacier-stuart
IandI
2006-06-05 08:38:14