Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2006, Interglacier / Mt Ruth, MRNP

June 3, 2006, Interglacier / Mt Ruth, MRNP

6/3/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Paul_Russell on 6/4/06 2:44pm
Still a bit skeptical of the weather forecast, Rob, Sonya and I left Seattle around 7am for the White Rvr Rd entrance and found ourselves hiking by 9am in mostly sunny skies with clear views of Rainier in the distance.  About 90 minutes later, we were skinning through Glacier Basin en route to Steamboat Prow.  Encountered a party descending from an epic climb on Liberty Ridge after 6 days on the mountain in survival conditions.  Made me glad to be on an easy day trip for some fun turns.  And fun turns they were in nice creamy snow for about 1500', then some slush below, with the usual crowd of climbers looking on.  Climbed back up to the ridge and crossed over to descend Mt Ruth all to ourselves.  Still nice conditions for most the way.  Weather held all day and back to the cars by 5:30.  One of the better days on the Interglacier!  Looking across to Whitman Crest, the conditions on the Frying Pan also looked nice.  Rumor has it that Kitty was over there.

Crossing to Mt Ruth, Steamboat Prow in distance

Top of the Prow, Emmons Gl in background

Sonya descending with Mt Tahoma and Whitman Crest beyond
Sounds like you guys had a nice day too.

Paul, did see Kam's pic of you on ttips?

Hey Paul,

I believe I watched you guys traverse to Ruth and then admired your tracks later in the day-nice turns!  Glad you hit a nice weather window!

~Lara

Nice work, you folks were hauling.  I was also up on the prow with Lightweight Dave, Russell the Muscle and Outback Jack.  You passed us as we were enjoying some Salmon pepperoni.  The Inter was in fine shape, with all sorts of fun conditions leading to cool turning techniques (hard charge, the dainty step and the telesurf all came out).  Kudos for sliding down the Inter and still having the gas For Ruth.  It was a great day to be in the mountains, especially since the weather window was short.

About those guys on Liberty Ridge, yikes!  The one dude said he was going home and selling all of his gear, he had frostbite on nearly all fingers.  I guess they came up from Nevada and spent six days hunkered down on Liberty Ridge in 100 mph winds.  Ya think they might have looked at the weather forecast for last week before taking off on something like that!

Good conditions Saturday.  After talking with the climber from Reno for nearly a half an hour (I was his first contact and I think he'd been waiting to vent for at least a few days) I began climbing again.  One of the other climbers came down and triggered a wet, shallow avalanche.  Given how hot it was at that point I decided skiing was not probably going to be any good and skied down to the base of the glacier.  On my way down I stopped and chatted with two of you for a minute and continued to the base.  By the time I had skied to the base I decided to put the skins back on and chase your group to the top.  About half way up the glacier I reached in my pack for my second water bottle to realize I had left it in the car (doh!).  I eased back on the chase and got to the top minutes after the three of you started your descent (nice form by the way).

4 1/2 hours without water, but I made it to the top and had a great ski down.  Only about 200' (el) of heavy grabby snow, the rest was a pleasure to ski.  Hardly much to complain about after listening to their story about 4 emergency bivouacs, 6 feet of new snow, and 100 mph winds.

Attached photo was taken on the way out, I think you can see everyone's turns listed above.  (I'm new at posting, hope the "3 photo" limit isn't too hard and fast.)

John

I believe I watched you guys traverse to Ruth and then admired your tracks later in the day-nice turns!  Glad you hit a nice weather window!

Thanks Lara.  Sorry we didn't see you at the cars and have a chance to share a beer.  Next time.  Here's a pic of you from back in Oct, I think, on Muir that I keep meaning to share.  Lara on Muir

Nice pic John!  glad you made it back up there to enjoy some turns.

Enum43 amazing picture!

Kinda looks like a spooky face with the clouds forming thick eyebrows.  Then again today is the day of the beast.  6-6-6

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the fun photo memory!!! That sure was a beautiful day up there.

I'll definitely be hitting Muir this summer and fall-hope to see you up there sometime soon!

~Lara

Beautiful turns you all made on Ruth.  I was the guy who asked if those were yours right when you guys arrived at the parking lot.   That cloud formation was crazy looking!  I may have to return for 2nd's on the june turns. 

Reply to this TR

june-3-2006-interglacier-mt-ruth-mrnp
Paul_Russell
2006-06-04 21:44:24