Home > Trip Reports > June 3 Tuscohatchie Lake (I-90)

June 3 Tuscohatchie Lake (I-90)

6/15/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by dkoelle on 6/4/06 5:54am
This one was a quixotic quest.  Took off from the Granite Mtn trailhead and went left towards Pratt Lake.  At the Pratt Lake divide, where you cross over from the I-90 drainage to the Middle Fork, there was a little continuous snow and I did a little fish-scale cruisin. The whole Pratt Lake drainage was a lot more thawed out than I was hoping to say the least.  Trail from Pratt to Lower Tuscohatchie was 95% snow-free.  The exit stream from Tusco. is partially bridged but I did not want to deal with the log jam across the remainder, so this forced my bushwhack choice to Upper Tusco. around to the west side of Lower.  No prob, it was actually mellower than my thrash on the east side last fall.  The snow cover was too minimal to really ameliorate the painful 'whacking, however.  Given the time it was taking me to 'whack and the unknowns above, I retreated whence I had come after touching Upper Tusco.  I am sure stronger travelers could have completed the circle tour up Granite from the back, but for me I think earlier in the season but with stable snow on Granite front would be ideal.  Saw amazing cowpat-sized oozes of frogs eggs (I think) with hundreds of little black-eyed-pea looking tadpoles (not moving) on the shore of Pratt Lake.  Each embryo was in a transparent grape-sized little sphere of transparent slimy stuff.  Cool!

Reply to this TR

june-3-tuscohatchie-lake-i-90
dkoelle
2006-06-04 12:54:10