Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2006, Silver Basin, Crystal Mountain

June 3, 2006, Silver Basin, Crystal Mountain

6/3/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Nappingonarock on 6/4/06 3:29am
I arrived with friend Steve at the upper parking lot around 11:00 Saturday morning greeted by clear blue skies and a very bright sun (which held the entire time).  Starting the hike up Quicksilver the snow became continuous right around 4700'.  Very sloppy down low, it didn't get a lot better up high.  We booted all the way, stopping just short of Silver King.  There were some older looking very small slides on the southern aspects of the bowl, some appeared to be from pieces of the cornice rimming the basin breaking off.  The slopes directly under the north ridge of Silver King were clean, however.

Skiing conditions weren't great, the snow was pretty grabby, but we were also going down in what was probably the hottest part of the day.  We saw a couple guys with a dog going up on our way out...maybe they benefitted from cooler temperatures.

I was one of the two guy's with the dog.  You passed by us just as we were entering the flat below the basin.  That was the warm part of the day.  It did finally cool a bit once we topped off on the King.  We hung out on the summit for a bit before heading down.  I'm kicking around the idea of heading back out Saturday morning June 10 for it was pretty good skiing but I hear Chinook is in great shape.  Probably will be heading out that way.  Here's a link to our pics from that day.  Disreguard the silly pics of us sitting on the lift.  I think we were just a little excited to be getting back out again.  http://sick-line.com/pics/Crystal_06-03-06/default.htm 

Later

Chuck

Thanks for sharing those pictures guys.
It looks like you had a great time. I am amazed at the hiking boots that were used on the older Fritchi set up, especially on a big ski.
I looked close, did you ski down in those? What boots are those?
Your pictures save me a lot of recon time.
Joe

Unfortunately I don't have Randonee boots.  Been looking around but this habit of skiing, boarding and climbing has been way expensive for me.  I adjusted the bindings to fit my La Sportiva Mountaineering boots.  I think they were called the Nepal Extremes when they were on the market.  Not sure if they are anymore.  I've seen them at Second Ascent in Ballard from time to time.  Use to sell for $425 retail.  I picked them up in La Grave FR for $179.  A deal I couldn't pass up.  They kick A$$ and did very well skinning up the hill.  I had my Salomon boots in the pack so I did the switch-a-roo at the top for the ride down.  Glad you enjoyed the pics.  That was a good day.

Chuck

Reply to this TR

june-3-2006-silver-basin-crystal-mountain
Nappingonarock
2006-06-04 10:29:30