Home > Trip Reports > January 6-17, 2003, Quebec,Maine,NH

January 6-17, 2003, Quebec,Maine,NH

1/6/03
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 1/20/03 3:58am
Jill and I travelled back east to visit the kids, train a potential trail breaker and ski a bit.  Being an old eastern skier, I haven't skied back east for over 20 years and wondered how things have changed. The east is having a good ski season but it's relative to what "good" really means.  We skied MT. Sutton, Owl's Head and Mt. Orford in Quebec.  Then Sugarloaf and Sunday River in Maine. Finally, Cannon, Mt. Sunapee and Ragged Mt. in New Hampshire. By moving around a bit, we experienced all types of terrain and conditions.  Conditions were hardpack(ice) to 6" of powder.  All the areas have 90 plus percent of their slopes covered with snow guns, so you can ski the trails but skiing off-piste is a hazardous choice.  We skied in temperatures from minus 10 to a high of plus 15.  We wore so many layers that leaning over to buckle your boots was a challenge. We learned that you start skiing when the lifts open and leave at lunch.  By noon, the groomed slopes are buffed to a shimmering white ice.We only skied midweek so I imagine the slopes get buffed down even sooner on weekends.

After 2 weeks back east, it was wonderful to return to the Cascades and experience spring conditions and ski "mountains."  Although this may not be a banner year so far, the Cascades are truly wonderful compared to the terrain and conditions in the east.
You certainly do seem to get around, Zap.

Reply to this TR

january-6-17-2003-quebec-maine-nh
Zap
2003-01-20 11:58:14