telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/17/19, 06:19 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2006 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 3rd, 2006, Mt Fortune
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 3rd, 2006, Mt Fortune  (Read 1355 times)
Michael

June 3rd, 2006, Mt Fortune
« on: 06/04/06, 11:20 AM »

Cass managed to convince me not to sleep in on Saturday morning to recuperate from a long week and I am glad he did.
We left the car at the end of the Ingalls trailhead (now very easily accessible to the end - it's soo nice not to have to walk the last 2.5 miles  Grin) at 9am. About a 15 mn walk up the trail and we were able to put our skis on, we navigated our way to best connect the snow patches and cross the various creeks. At about 4900 feet coverage started being continuous. We made it to the top of Fortune around 11:30 and stayed there for a good hour enjoying the views and a nap in the sun. We met two other skiers at the top - friends of Paul Russell.
The ski down on the first 2300 feet was excellent - we got the great corn we were hoping for. After that it became more interesting ;-) with creek crossings - sometimes on some "interesting" snowbridges and unconnected snow patches we had to connect by taking a little speed.
We made it within 150 feet elevation from the car, a 5 mn walk and we were back at the car.
A great tour.

Chris enjoying the great corn on the first slope:

Chris developed a new technique for going over the snowbridges - it worked Grin:

A couple more pictures of Chris: 1, 2
cascadesfreak

Re: June 3rd, 2006, Mt Fortune
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/06, 12:55 PM »

Another fine day out in the mountains  Cool 
Even though Michael didn't get to sleep-in, he managed to catch-up on that lost sleep at the summit

Additional trip photos are posted here
Paul_Russell

« Reply #2 on: 06/04/06, 08:17 PM »

Looks like you guys had a great day and got caught up on some zzzzz's as well, nice job!  Imagine that was bryan and carol up there.  We tried Fortune and Ingalls 2 weeks ago and got caught in that sudden storm.  Never been so wet...then managed to leave my soggy pants on top of the car after changing so quickly.  You didn't find them on the road did you??  Angry
« Last Edit: 06/04/06, 08:22 PM by Paul_Russell » Logged
Michael

« Reply #3 on: 06/05/06, 11:24 PM »

Imagine that was bryan and carol up there.  We tried Fortune and Ingalls 2 weeks ago and got caught in that sudden storm.  Never been so wet...then managed to leave my soggy pants on top of the car after changing so quickly.  You didn't find them on the road did you??  Angry

Yes, I believe it was them. They told us about your trauma from a couple of weeks ago and the fact that you didn;t want to go back  Wink
...and no, I did not see the pants, by now many people probably drove over them like you drive over BBQs  Grin.
allyson

« Reply #4 on: 06/06/06, 08:54 PM »

...and no, I did not see the pants, by now many people probably drove over them like you drive over BBQs  Grin.
oooo, ouch, paul--you're never going to live that bbq incident down!  Wink  but i know what it's like to leave pants on top of a car after skiing, i lost a pair last year up near hart's pass.  i still think about how lonely they must be, or how happy someone else must be...

michael and cass--sweet trip, dooods!  glad you got some good turns in.  way to sleep it/ski it down to the base!   Cool

snowshoe?? why would you??
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.