Home > Trip Reports > Seymour Peak-Dewey Lake-Naches Peak June 3, 2006

Seymour Peak-Dewey Lake-Naches Peak June 3, 2006

6/15/06
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Joedabaker on 6/3/06 11:59am
Decided to do a solo tour in a different direction to testout a new GPS unit.
Traveled on the South Naches trail on surprisingly slippery snow and not mush.
VFR skiing as opposed to IFR last weekend.
Dropped into a long steep chute before the Dewey trail that (luckily) went the distance to Dewey Creek.
I only had to dismount 2 times on this 1000vf narrow, ribbon of corn snow, in spots not and barely covering spring runnoff.
Skinned up the drainage south to Seymour felt like it was 90 degrees out...Whew.
Good Semi-firm mush ski to Dewey Lakes.

The GPS kicked in for the return from the lake, the trees are reasonably dense, but rock cliffs are the real bugger here. Managing a way out without getting closed out by cliffs or to far down the drainage is always a challange in this area. I know it is cliffy when I saw 2 mountain goats on my skin out.
I set a compass bearing at the lake and kept a close eye on the summer trail on the GPS. The combo worked and the results were better than (usual) I thought.
The heat was really draining, but at least the views were awesome.
As I got out of the hole, clouds and wind moved in, made for cooler hiking and great snow to ski.
Skinned to Naches notch below the summit dropped from there in to Naches SW bowl to the car.

Very private tour, the edges of Dewey are just starting to sport a turquoise skirt,
It is one of those tours you need to go do to get a grasp of the area, so no pics.
House size corices in many areas are ready to do some serious remodeling.
I like the features of the new GPS, I think my older GPS gets a better signal, but it may be on posted on the sellers thread soon.
Joe
Joe, thanks for the report.  I know the feeling about doing solo trips.  It can fill a void.

Zap

Here's some pics I took from Chinook Pass, Yakima/Naches Peak area on June 3rd:

Looking back south across the road and Naches Peak

North face of Yakima Peak just north of Chinook Pass

We skied this bowl a few ridges north of the pass and a few ridges south of high cambell lift at Crystal

Weird block of ice standing in the middle of a slide path

and of course, stellar pics of Rainier

Reply to this TR

seymour-peak-dewey-lake-naches-peak-june-3-2006
Joedabaker
2006-06-03 18:59:09